Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Thanks Herm!

Yes, Thanks Herm Edwards, for being a ballsless fuck and leaving the Jets to coach in Kansas City, where you managed to sneak into the playoffs, along with pissing off your running back by showing no imagination on Offense (gee, where have we heard THAT before). But first, I need to take care of some business.

Jets are screwed. In a weird way I'm relieved -- now I don't have to get excited setting myself up for a season-ending loss in a big game.

Ed, the Jets season is over. Enjoy it for the fun of watching football. Even if they win out, which they may well do, they're not qualifying without a lot of things falling into place.I hope I'm wrong & I offer you my marker right NOW that you can mock me without mercy here, at my place, and everywhere else til baseball season begins, if I'm wrong.But I won't be, alas.

The above were comments from Mike over at Mike's Neighborhood. Mike, you are now sentenced, like Bart Simpson, to write on the chalkboard "I will not doubt the Mangenius" 2006 times.

On the strength of a 6-2 final 8 games, including a tough loss to the Bears (a winnable game) and a blowout loss to the Bills (setting people up to be surprised), the J E T S are in the playoffs. The best part is they get to play Belichicken's Patriots in Foxborough (when the hell did it change from Foxboro by the way?) on Sunday. Oh Happy Day.

At the end of last season's 4-12 mail in, which was mostly due to numerous injuries (Chad, Fiedler, Mawae, Martin) and having to use Vinny Testaverde and Brooks Bollinger at QB, Herm decided he wanted to find his fortune in KC, and coach the Chiefs, his old team. I for one was upset, as I liked Herm. He was successful here, save for last season. If not for Doug Brien, they would have played the AFC Championship Game in 2004/05. He finally sacked up and fired Hackett, but did not change the offense enough. He finally fired Ted Cottrell, but the system did not produce results. After last season, Herm could have had a pass, and come back to rebuild. But Herm lacked the testicular fortitude to finish it out here, and left, bringing the Jets a 4th round pick, which Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini turned into Leon Washington. So thanks Herm, so Leon, and thanks for Eric. And thanks for tkaing Bradway with you.

Coming into this season, even with the new coach, and a "healthy" Chad, few, if any Jets fans thought we would be here today. I didn't at first. But then I saw how they played. I saw how they came back from 24-0 against the Patriots in the first meeting. I saw how they hung with the Colts in a loss. I saw how they played the Bears tougher than the cross-hallway rivals. I saw them win the games they were supposed to (except for the Browns, thanks REF!), and one they were not (Patriots Part Deux). I saw Leon Washington juke guys out of their shoes. I saw Chad make the passes he has to make. I even saw him throw long a few times (note to Tony Kornheiser and Joe Thiessman, shut the fuck up). I saw Bryan Thomas finally evolve into a first round pick. I saw Nick Mangold make everyone forget the brittle one (John Abraham, how many games did he play this year?)

Mostly, I saw a team buy into a philosophy and win. No pontificating in front of the media. No quotables like "You play to win the game". Just play. You make a mistake, you sit your ass down. You put the ball on the ground, run some laps. You take a stupid penalty, sit down. I saw an offensive coordinator with a brain, and with the testicular fortitude to do things a little differently. Gone are the days of Paul (no he can't) Hackett. I saw a 35 year old man emerge from the shadow of a chicken shit asshole who won't even acknowledge his existence and make the JETS his team. Guys chafed at the two a days, but they paid off in the end. They towed the company line, and here they sit, about to play the Patriots in the first round. Would I have preferred Happy Feet Peyton and the defenseless Colts, sure, but I'll take this match-up.

Oh, and for those who think this is easy pickings for the Patriots, given that they have been here before, and they have Tom Brady, keep thinking that. Yep, the Patriots should be favored, but I have news for you, it matters not what Brady has done in the past. He does not have the same team. Branch, gone. Vinatieri, gone. Harrison, hurt. You can rest on your laurels at times, but this Jets team is not intimidated. They went to Razor Blade Stadium a few weeks ago and won, going away, forcing Belichicken to fire the field. They harrassed Brady all day. I think they can do it again. I say the Jets win. Then, onto San Diego, where Brian can make his dad look foolish.
Am I getting ahead of myself, sure. But I don't care. I'm gonna enjoy this, like I enjoyed the Mets run this year.

2 comments:

Arnie Shaw said...

Ed, great blog. I was actually laughing out loud. I have a good writing ability.

As for Herm. Fuck him. I was sorry to see him go too, only bc I lived through so many Jets loser coaches that I couldn't bare to have another one. And Herm might have been manic, clueless and conservative all at the same time, he did have a winning track record. I was all set to give him a pass.

But Mangina proved himself. No flashy press conferences or any bullshit. He is just all business.

I think the Jets can pull it off, despite what Mike says. Perhaps he should venture out of his neighborhood and he would know that we beat them once and almost beat them the other time.

At any rate, go Jets!

PS: Thanks for posting at my blog!

Anonymous said...

Go Jets!
F Herm Edwards.

Nice blog Ed.