Friday, January 05, 2007

Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo...

Be afraid Ed, be afraid

quote from a Pats fan I work with

Your Jets will be facing a different team than 8 weeks ago. A better team than 2 years ago

quote from a neighbor who is a Pats fan

Enjoy Sunday, keep the Tums handy

quote from "The Boy" sometimes commenter and my brother

Payback is a bitch

quote from my Dad, heard many times on many Sunday's growing up


So Sunday is the big game, the one few thought we would see this year. Eric Mangini leads his Jets to Foxborough to face his prick of a mentor Bill Belichick. The Pats, based on their record this year and the fact that they have won Super Bowls a few times lately, are favored by 8.5 points, despite not beating the Jets by that much in the one game they won this year against them. Despite the Jets going 6-2 on the road, including a win at Gillette Stadium. Despite the fact that the Pats lost to the Broncos last year in the playoffs. Despite the fact that they lost their kicker, their key receiver, their "enforcer" in the defensive backfield. Despite the fact that the Jets, though young in key spots, proved throughout the season (with the exception of 2 games) that they can hang with anyone.

The Jets are in a good place. Nobody expected them to get this far. Fans would have been happy with 6-10 in some cases, 8-8 in most. They are playing with house money at this point, so there is very little pressure. Well guess what, these guys want to win this game. I saw one guy in the Post this morning write that they are just happy to be here, and that the Pats would roll 24-12. This is foolish. First, the guys want to prove to the media, fans, and opponents that last year was the fluke, not this year. They have a big chip on their shoulder, from the rookies on up to the veterans. Plus, do not underestimate how much they LOVE playing for Mangini, and how they have taken the snubs of Belichick towards Mangini personally. Oh, Bill can try to be all nice this week, finally uttering Eric's name, and giving him some grudging credit. They still remember the limp wristed handshake, with the eyes averted, after the Jets beat them 8 weeks ago. They want to win this, not only for themselves, but to show that fat bastard up.

Oh, it will not be easy. On paper, the Pats are the better team. Richard Seymour, Tom Brady, Teddy Bruschi, all have been around and won titles. Belichick is a great coach, of that there is no argument (this does not change the fact that he is a prick. First, he runs away from the Jets like a scared little bitch, then he steals another man's wife). You know what, big fucking deal. The "better" team does not always win. The Mets were the better team than the Cardinals. The Yankees were better than the Tigers. The Tigers were better than the Cardinals. Look how that all turned out.

The team that wins is the team that wants it more. Oh, the Pats want to make up for last season's loss in Denver. They have the home field advantage. They have the Super Bowl pedigree. What do the Jets have? Well, they have a quarterback who has a lot to prove to the naysayers. They have two receivers who play their asses off. They have a 3 headed monster at running back who all bring something different to the table, keeping the opposition off balance. On defense, they have a line that is underrated. They have 4 linebackers who can all get the job done. They have a kick returner and punt returner who can break one any time they get the ball. And they have a coach who learned from Belichick. A guy who at 35 wants to show everyone who thought Woody Johnson was an idiot for hiring him that they are the idiots. Beware the Penguin!

There are the obvious keys to this game. Chad needs to protect the ball. Do not try to do too much, be smart. Nugent needs to be perfect when he gets his shots. No shanks from Ben Graham (and no bungled snaps while we are at it). Keep the penalties to a minimum. On defense, let Rhodes do what he does best, scare the other team by moving around and blitzing. Also, Jonathan Vilma has had a very quiet year. I expect Bob Sutton has some plans for him this week. Might we see some blitzes from Jonathan?

A couple of side notes on stories I read the past couple of days. In a possible sign of the apocalypse, I agree with Wally Matthews, Belichick is a jerk. Now, I do not like Wally, based on his Mets bashing stories this year, but for once, he got it right. And in case you have not guessed, yes, I am still bitter over what Belichicken did in 2000. Payback is indeed a bitch Bill, and she's coming to collect from your fat ass.

Second, there was an AP story yesterday that tried to compare the comeback Chad has accomplished with the "comeback" Brady has had to "endure". Please. Give me a fucking break. Chad had his shoulder operated on, twice, in the past 18 months. Brady lost a fucking football game. Man, I know people have to write something, but for this to be on the AP wire, is absolutely silly. There is no comparison.

Now, I'm not going to predict a score. I have no clue what the final tally will be. I do know that people have counted the Jets out all year long, and have looked silly for having done so. I do think that they will look silly again come 4 PM on Sunday.

For some more Jets info, be sure to visit Brooklyn Jets Fan ,where Mestradamus' alter ego Jetstradamus participates along with Brooklyn Met Fan, and J E T S Blog, Blog Blog!, with a cast of characters that are fun reads.

As The Boy said, Enjoy Sunday and keep the Tums handy (and we Mets fans know all about the Tums).

Lets Go JETS!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Edwin, thanks for the advertisement at the end there to thejetsblog.blogspot.com. Your the man! You don't know the half of it with the cast of characters I have to deal with over at our blog.

At any rate, my bosses who are based a half hour from Foxboro invited me to the game. Unfortunately I promised my wife I would take her to NYC. I got the grandma coming up to watch the kids and everything. Would have been a nightmare to disassemble. I am already regretting not going. But at any rate, all my bosses are all die hard Pats fans.

I would have loved to go up there with my Pennington Jersey.

But fuck New England. I am sick of them. They lost last year to the Broncos. Their run is done. I hate how fucking cheap they are. Their owner is a fuck. I don't eat Mayonase any more bc I don't want that fuck to make any money. He doesnt spend it any how.

I really feel the Jets can do it! They are the total underdogs here. But who fucking cares. The Jets can pull it off.

I will be at Fakeheads house with Paddy Mulcaighe or whatever the fuck his name is, and a few other die hard Jet fans. Fakehead will be dropping f bombs like crazy.

Go Jets! Down with Saddam! Down with the Patriots!

Anonymous said...

NYC is only on Sat night...just so you konw I am not missing the game. Just wanted to clarify that.

Not that whipped.

Ed in Westchester said...

unruly - ah, a night on the town with the missus. I've forgotten what that is like.
I can't blame you for missing the game. The couch gets mighty uncomfortable after awhile.

As for the advert, with the shout outs given on your site this week, I had to return the favor.

Enjoy NYC. Then enjoy the game.
Lets go JETS!

Mike said...

The jitters are here. Damn.

This is why I have such mixed feelings about making the playoffs as a low-seeded team.

I'll be in front of the TV tomorrow, no doubt, kicking and yelling, and forcing my wife to question whether she married the right guy. Oh, I'll be in my usual "important football game" mode.

But I'm uneasy about this one. Can't lie.

Mike said...

Ok. I'm up, I'm ansty, and I don't know how I'm gonna make it through the next 4 hours.