Sunday, January 07, 2007

Well, That Sucked

Well, they kept it close for a while, but in the end, the Jets just didn't have the horses to finish it up. I tip my cap to the Patriots. They played a very strong game on both sides of the ball. Belichick called the right plays at the right time. The Jets never did adapt, and in the end, the inability to get the ball in the end zone hurt them. Three times they got to the red zone, and three times they came away with field goals. You are not going to win in the playoffs doing that.

Chad was under pressure frequently today. Lots of hurries, a couple of batted down passes. Too many plays where he did not have time to get the ball to his receivers. A couple of mistakes on his part, the int and the failed "lateral" cost them. In my book the lack of a go to running back, a theme throughout the season, hurt them. Once the Pats were able to stop the run, they were able to key on the pass. Chad made some nice passes, and had good numbers, but without the 77 yarder to Cotchery, the numbers aren't as impressive. Chad did his normal short routes, alas, today that was not enough. I still feel that the lack of a consistently strong running game hurts this team, as it exposes Chad. He is an excellent play-action QB, but when the running game sucks, good teams are not going to bite as much. This is an area of focus for the draft this April. A year's experience for the youngsters on the line will help with protection and the run, but improvement in talent in the backfield is a must.

On the defensive side of the ball, they once again could not stop the run. The lineman were not able to generate penetration to disrupt the run. They also did not pressure Brady consistently. There were times he was pressured, but not nearly enough to stop him. For a team with no-name wideouts, they do a good job moving the ball. And while they use a three-headed monster at running back, the difference from the Jets is that they have a veteran in Dillon who is quite good, as is Faulk. None of the Jets backs are of that caliber. The linebackers did not do much. Blitzes resulted in little disruption, as the Pats were able to pick them up. The secondary blew a couple of chances to pick off Brady, Rhodes once early on a beautifully timed play that just missed, and Miller on a deep ball late that he just missed. Experience will help there. But the line is an area of concern. It may be time to realize Robertson is not fit for the nose in a 3-4.

I was glad to see Belichick hug Mangini at the end of the game. Perhaps he is not as big a prick as I thought. On second thought, fuck him, I still hate him.

So, another Jets season ends in disappointment. However, there is hope. There is good young talent on both sides of the ball, as well as on the sideline. Chad will have another year under his belt from the surgery, so his strength should be better (of course, it ain't gonna be great, but still better than now). Think of ball players with shoulder surgery, it usually takes a year to get back to full strength. Hopefully the same holds here. Hope is a good thing. And next year, they get the chance to show all those who said "Well it was a soft schedule" what they can do against a tough one. Plus, Herm comes to town for a game, so that will be fun.

Thanks to Eric and his staff and the team for a good season. I'm looking forward to next season already.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ed, yeah I was pretty disappointed. Football is basically the only thing to hold me over till Spring Training and I am not even emotionally invested in the sport. I wanted so badly to see the Jets win today, just to give me hope for a NY team. OK, time to get detached again, and wait for my Super Bowl bets to go through.

Anonymous said...

Ed, I am with you. The game was dissapointing, but not the season. Just spent the last three hours composing a big Jets poem tuned to Twas the Night Before Xmas. Thought I would get all my creative juices out since I will not be posting that much till Mets season. I will be lingering around your blog but not much of a hockey fan (cant even name one player on the islanders).

At any rate, I hope we draft smart. And I woudl rather be in the Jets position, rather than the Giants. They are going to be going through huge alterations this season.

See ya around...check out JETS b b b.

Later, the Unruliest One.

Mike said...

Tough end. But the Pats are the better team.

Lots of cap space for the Jets, based on what I hear. Maybe a run-plugging D lineman. Maybe another O line stud. Ball-hawking FS?

I still think -- no joking -- that need to begin preparing for the post-Chad era, whether with Clemens, a new draftee, of a FA. We all love Chad (me too), but as the team gets better, he's gonna be the weak link. You don't want the QB to be the weak link.

Ed in Westchester said...

Mike - I agree, they have to make plans for a year or so from now with a new QB. Chad can only get them so far, unless they get a stud RB and a shut down defense.
Kellen Clemens better have the playbook surgically attached to his forehead.

Anonymous said...

I dont know, but from the little I have seen of Clemens I haven't seen more than what Brooks Bollinger was doing. Clemens has to grow 2 more inches and gain 30 more pounds before he can do anything else...in my opinion.

Hopefully he loves football, studies well, etc etc etc...all of Magini's requirements.

Otherwise, we will have to deal with Pennington's lob passes for another year.

Anonymous said...

No, Belichick is a prick.

One of these days it will be some disciple of Mangini's taking on his mentor, and Mangini won't be what Belichick has been toward him this year.

Nice season. There will be another

Ed in Westchester said...

g-fafif - Yeah, he is still a prick.
I certainly hope there are mor egood seasons to come.
So far, two of my three teams have had good seasons this year.
I do not have high hopes for the Islanders unfortunately.