Thursday, January 25, 2007

Mets News and Notes

Some good news for former Mets, present Mets, and some news that is good or bad depending on your point of view.

On the former Mets front, Uncle Cliffy has signed with the Chicago Cubs. He will earn $3 million in 2007, with a mutual option for 2008 that vests with 100 starts or 425 plate appearances. I'm happy for Cliff. He gave it his all in NY, played hard every damn day. He played through pain that few of us can only imagine, both mental (loss of his sister, potential kidney issues for himself) and physical (Achilles and other ailments). I can't wait for Cliff to come to town on May 14 - 17 for a 4 game set. I hope he will receive the same treatment Mike Piazza received when he came back as a Padre. Maybe David Wright can carry his bags into the clubhouse for old time's sake.

Of course, the bigger good news is Willie Randolph signing a contract extension for 4 years, $8 million. The deal replaces his current one, so instead of $700 k this year, he will make nearly $1.4 m. Good for Willie, and good for the Mets to take care of this before Spring Training. Of course, some people were being jerks, saying the Mets were blaming Willie for the loss to the Cardinals. Then again, those people are known for their ripping of the Mets whenever they get the chance. I'm sure he is dislocating his shoulder patting himself on the back this morning now that the deal is done. News flash dummy, it was always getting done. Willie and Omar were classy enough to not make a big deal about it in the media. It was only people like you who were making a big deal about it.

Anyway, I'm happy Willie will be here until 2010. He has done a great job with this team. Yes, some in game decisions are odd, but you know what, all managers make decisions that make you scratch your head. LaRussa with Rolen, Torre with A-Rod, the list goes on. The bottom line is this, the team is winning, and is in a better place than they were under the veteran "leadership" of one Art Howe. Willie brought Wright along slowly, despite the roars from fans and the press to move him up in the lineup in 2005. He has a way of getting John Maine to nut up when in a tough spot. He uses his reserves to keep them in it, and keep the starters fresh (though he does need to rest Wright a tad more in 2007 methinks.) Willie is a winner, he's been on the big stage, and can talk to these young guys, and the vets as well about it. So, thanks Omar, Fred, Jeff and Willie for keeping the band together. Now, if we can only get Omar a raise...

The "is that true Johnny, 'cause if it is, I'm not quite sure how to feel" moment from yesterday was news that the Mets were watching Victor (the other) Zambrano throw in Venezuela. VZ is of course coming back from elbow surgery. With the Mets having a lot of projects in camp, it may seem odd that they would bring in a guy who has shown flashes of brilliance (brief though they may be), but is more remembered for who he is not. However, this could be a good signing, assuming it is cheap, and Vic accepts a minor league assignment until his arm is up to speed. As I noted, he has shown flashes. He had control issues, but had a good arsenal, and when on, was un-hittable for stretches. You wonder how he would do if The Jacket got to work with a healthy VZ. So, assuming the deal is cheap, I'm all in favor of signing Victor. Word is that he may work out of the pen to get his arm strength back, and so as to not push it too fast. That makes sense to me, and another hard thrower out of the pen could only help. Plus, it could free up some other guys as trade bait.

Pitchers and catchers can't come soon enough.

13 comments:

Mike said...

Victor Zambrano is NOT good. He's never been good, except for one year out of the bullpen, with the 2001 Rays.

I really think Met fans need to stop drinking the koolaid regarding this bum. If only for their mental health.

This "great stuff, but unable to harness it" stuff is crap. Nothing in his stats or my experience watching him suggests to me that he's anything more than a total bum.

I'd like to think that after last spring's Bannister over Heilman debacle, Willie & Omar would've learned their lesson.

Ed in Westchester said...

Mike - respectfully disagree. Yes, he had his bad innings, but from what I have read, his peripherals were decent enough. And remember, he was pitching with a messed up elbow. I've seen him shut teams down for 5 innings and then have the wheels come off. How much of that was elbow related?

A cheap contract and some time in the minors to get into game shape is not a bad idea. I'm NOT saying he should be in the rotation at this point. There are better options.

Oh, and I agree, Heilman should have started over Bannister last year. Now however, Heilman is a pen guy, and will be unless the 12 man rotation totally flops or takes cab rides.

Anonymous said...

Ok Ok - I'm going to go anti-Coop (cause I was the first one to slam the whole Zamboner deaal in the first place) here and say...he's an extra arm, he'll definitely be cheap, like Ed says we *have* seen some flashed of brilliance (even in the Braves game he "removed" himself from, didn't he strike out the side on inning or something close?), I say - why not?

But I do agree that he should start off in the minors and have to work for a BP spot, let alone a rotation spot, if he does get signed.

On another note - WTH happened to Steve Trash-ball? No, i DO NOT want him back on the Mets (I can only save my stupid sloppy drunk nights at Shea for when Jose Lima pitches), but he was a 15 game winner last year...surprised someone hasn't thrown buckets of moolah at him yet. Save my nickname for him, I always did have a soft spot in my heart for him. Don't know why though.

Not for the Willie deal. All for an extension but till '10?

Ed in Westchester said...

coop - Willie's 2010 is an option year. So he really got more $ for this year, then 2 years plus an option. I think it's fine, gives the team security, and Willie as well. This way he can't go to the Bronx when Joe leaves, assuming Mattingly doesn't want it.

Anonymous said...

I agree about Cliff, he was a very good Met and while I think it was time for him to go (in a way) I'm happy that he signed on with another team. I hope he does well, except when he plays the Mets of course.

Mookie McFly said...

I have nothing to add about Zambrano. He is a big question mark...and enigma wrapped in The Jacket's jacket.

Willie got his extension but it certainly doesn't mean the Mets have to keep him...We'll see how it all plays out. He's a good player's manager but the Mets do have good players. The little things he has done wrong have cost them some games...at least we won't have to watch him get outmanaged by Frank Robinson anymore. He is a Yankee...and I don't know if I can ever truly forgive him for that...

Mike said...

I must be the only Met fan in creation who hasn't seen these alleged "good innings" or "flashes of brilliance."

As for his peripherals, you can't be talking about his 141:94 K:BB ration with the Mets, nor his 513:382 ratio for his career.

He's a bad starter. Period. Didn't we learn the lesson last year with Lima Time!

Rickey said...

hey ed, thanks for linking to me. I'll do like wise once I figure out how the heck to set up a links section at my blog... cheers man.

Ed in Westchester said...

Mike - I'm not saying they should pull out all the stops to get VZ. I just think it wouldn't be awful to sign him on the cheap and see what he can do without a frayed ligament in his elbow.

I have seen him go good for like 4 or 5 innings, and then falter.
His next to last start in 06, he went 6 innings, 5 hits 1 run, 2 bb, 4 k's against the Nationals.

Now that they signed Sele, it probably won't happen.

Mike said...

it probably won't happen

Good. I don't want him anywhere near Shea.

Mike said...

Sorry to be cantankerous, Ed.

But you kmow from MetsGeek last year, I get . . . let's say, "passionate" when I argue about baseball.

And Zambrano makes me angrier than Trachsel.

Ed in Westchester said...

Mike - no apology necessary. It's all good.

VZ frustrated me as well.
Trachsel did more though.

Rickey said...

How many years of broken promises did VZ make us suffer through? At least Traschel gave the hitting lineup ample time to relax in between innings. But RIckey will never forgive Traschel for his playoff performance. Not in a million years. Rickey says good riddance to both.