Monday, February 05, 2007

Wow, Does Grossman SUCK!

The next time someone says "Chad Pennington will never lead the Jets to the Super Bowl" I will remind them that Rex Grossman led the Bears to the Super Bowl. Now, I know, they had a good running game, featuring a two headed monster. And I know they have a good defense. FIne. But Grossman is the QB, and he is responsible for the good and the bad on that side of the ball. What I saw last night was a guy who is quite possible one of the WORST Qb's in the NFL.

The guy just looks like he is lost. He had more balls slip through his fingers than a hooker on a busy Friday night. Yeah, I know it was raining, but I didn't see Peyton having those problems, did you? Didn't think so. Those two picks were horribly thrown. I mean, Chad may not have a strong arm, but there is no fucking way he makes those mistakes. Not in a big game like last night. Rex threw for 165 yards, but was never in any position to lead the Bears anywhere but home. If not for Hester's run back, and Thomas Jones' 52 yard run to set up the second TD, we might have seen the Bears score a paltry 3 points.

As for the Colts, yes Peyton has the monkey off his back, and Marino is again (and forever) the best QB to never win a title. I like to think that is payback from the football gods for the fake spike. But that's just the bitter Jet fan in me talking. Peyton wins, and gets the MVP award. But I gotta ask, is there a winning QB who bitches after plays more than Peyton? I can't remember how many times after an incompletion Peyton was shaking his head, or throwing his arms up in the air. He did it once late in the 4th qtr when Harrison was walloped trying to make a catch. Memo to Peyton, it's not a good idea to bitch when your receiver gets his bell rung.

As for Tony Dungy, an all around good guy, congrats. He has been in the league a while now, lately having great regular season's, but falling short in the playoffs. He had to deal last year with the death of his son. Now, he is at the top of his profession. Dungy is a good guy, and a man of faith. It bothered me a bit when people made light of his comments about God and his faith. The man believes, and that is his deal, good for him. You don't agree, that's your deal. Now, I don't think God is watching over a football game, but his faith has helped him deal with adversity that he has faced, and has led him to be a good man.

As for the Bears, well, I can't really say they played great. The defense couldn't stop the short passing game the Colts ran. They had a hard time stopping the run. And on offense, they sucked. If I'm Lovie Smith, I'm looking for a new QB. Oh, and Brian Griese is not the answer.

So now we get ready for the NFL draft and Free Agency. The Jets needs are obvious, a running back, and a shut down corner. Assante Samuel from New England would look nice in green and white. As for running back, Michael Turner is a restricted FA. Or perhaps they trade up in the first round, or wait to see who falls to round 2. Lots of time to get ready for that. In the meantime, Pitchers and Catchers in less than 2 weeks baby!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that Rex blows and he shouldn't even be in the NFL next year, unless he is holding a clipboard.

The Bears D is somewhat to blame as well. I agree they couldn't stop the short stuff and it killed them.

I would love to see Samuel in a Jets uniform next year. But what about Thomas Jones? I think, if it's possible, the Jets should look into him. The Bears are going to commit to Bensen, and Jones will want to start. The Jets need to see what's doing with Jones.

Ed in Westchester said...

Fakehead - I like the idea of Turner.
Jones had a good game, so he may be a fallback option.
It will be interesting to see what direction they go in the draft. Will Mangini do the Belichicken thing and keep all his picks to draft the best available player at those spots, or will they try to package the #1 and one of the two #2's to move up in the first round to grab a high profile RB?
At the least, it should be interesting.

Mike said...

Samuel. I want it.

Anonymous said...

What, no mention of the replay of the Jets/Colts Super Bowl? A rare moment to watch a great game, if you had the NFL Network.

Ed in Westchester said...

The Boy - Since Jim Dolan is a douche, we do not have SBIII. I hope you taped it. I can think of two people who would like to see it besides you. Me and Dad.

I would have DVR'd the game, taped it, or found a way to burn it to DVD.

But, as noted, Dolan is a douche, and does not offer NFL Network. Because, you know, nobody in NY follows football.