Thursday, February 22, 2007

Various Crap

A few things to cover today.

An Open Letter to Jimmy Rollins:

Dear Jimmy,

I read with great interest your recent comments about how your team, the Philadelphia Phillies are the "team to beat" this coming season. I appreciate your honesty, and am glad to read and hear that you see things the same way that many Mets fans do. You see Jimmy, the Phillies are indeed the team to beat...the living crap out of. Oh, I know you have Ryan Howard, and Utley, and yourself, but who else in your lineup is scaring opposing teams? Do you really think the addition of HR machine Freddy Garcia in your bandbox is going to help? Better hope that Rowand and Victorino don't hurt themselves crashing into the fence this year chasing all those fly balls. At least you won't have to worry about Burrell in that regard.
You see, the team to beat is usually the team that won the division the prior season, not the team that finished 12 games back, and had its fans chanting for their football team during baseball games in August. It's not smart to piss off the other teams in your division when you have won jack shit in years. So, if you want the bullseye, you got it. You see, teams that win don't have to talk the talk. They just walk the walk, and hand out beatings. The Mets plan on doing the same this year.

Yankees
I really love how the media is still talking about this. Both guys want it gone, yet the media won't let it go. They need something to talk about. The more turmoil in the Bronx, the better for me. Oh, and Bernie isn't coming to camp. More fodder for the media and fans.

Young Mets
Ambiorix Burgos wowed management and teammates yesterday, breaking several bats during batting practice, including one of Lastings Milledge. Coach Sandy Alomar Sr. noted to Lastings "I thought you had fast hands". The response, a chuckle and "I must have left them at home". Good to see Lastings take the joke. Maturity perhaps?

This followed a hitting display by 18 yr old Fernando! Martinez on Tuesday, where he hit one HR over the center field fence estimated at 450 ft. The dimensions at Tradition Field are the same as Shea, and the ball hit the "eye" about 50 ft up. "Wow" was the response from Jeff Wilpon. Wow indeed.

The NY Times used "scrappy" today when describing David Newhan. Watch out Eckstein, we have scrappy utility player too!

Miscellany
The Islanders sit 1 pt out of the playoffs, with games in hand on several of the teams ahead of them. They get Toronto tonight and Montreal Saturday, two of the teams they are battling/chasing. They MUST get at least 3 pts here. Anything less, and we are probably looking at them being sellers at the trade deadline next week. I'm on board with trading Simon, Hill and Blake, so long as the returns are good.


This is the last post for this week (barring anything interesting coming out today). I'll be leaving for sunny and warm Florida on Saturday. I'm going to be near Port St. Lucie, so I'm hoping to head over there on Monday to catch workouts with my 6 yr old daughter. Not sure if I will post anything next week, but you never know, so check back. I'll try to get some photos, and post them when I get back, assuming I can figure out how.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

14 comments:

Mike said...

Hey, have a great vacation Ed.

If you make it to PSL, tell The Prince to take a few games off this year. If he argues (which he won't), you direct him to me, ok?

Coop said...

Have fun in PSL Ed. I am going to Tampa in May, can't wait for that!Later

Ed in Westchester said...

Mike - Thanks, and consider it done. I'm sure his response will be something like:
"Well, I'll do what's best for the team. The good thing is, we have a lot of veterans who can pick us up. Whatever Willis thinks is what I will do."

Coop - Thanks. Tampa? At least ST is over, so you won't have to see the Yanks.

Coop said...

I go to a Blues festival every year on the bay. Fun times. Best Thai food stand I've ever had in my life! It is right down the street from the D-Rays stadium, possibly the most boring baseball experience I've ever had in my life. You can't give tickets away there. There is a great sports bar across the street from it. Ferg's -- home of the $6 beer bucket during happy hours.

But there are plenty of Yankee fans down there anyway. Had some Nascar mullet wearing lady who was a Yankee fan threaten me when I went to see the Mets play there in 2001. I'm like, I'd punch you, but you'd lose your tooth.

Toasty Joe said...

We want photos! C'mon, I posted a bunch from my Wrigley trip last summer. Be fair.

Ed in Westchester said...

Coop - LOL!

Toasty - Ed is a tad technologically stupid. I'll do my best.

Just found out they are playing an intrasquad game on Monday! Sweet timing for me!

Mookie McFly said...

Have a great time Ed. Perhaps, David Wright will be done laughing about Jimmy Rollins by the time you get there. I know I won't laugh about it until I get to see us bury them at the home opener. We'll put them in our rear view mirror that day and I bet we'll never look back!

Say "hi" to the sun for me!

Anonymous said...

How dare you call me a douche. I look nothing like a douche. While you on the other hand are probably a short, oblong, fluid filled puss flusher. I am richer and get more tail than you could even dream of. Westchester? I wouldn't even stop to piss there.
B loop out!

Ed in Westchester said...

No Mr. Looper, I'm quite sure you are a douche. I've seen pictures.

And the results of your pitching while a Met.

Anonymous said...

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/

Interesting article in local STL rag about strawberry

Arnie Shaw said...

Ed, Coop and Mike, I have a good baseball trivia question on my blog: thejetsblog.blogspot.com.

Feel free to try and guess it. I will be awarding a Jets prize to the guy who gets it first.

Cheers, Unruly Jets Fan

Figgythemick said...

Good article, Ed. Sorry I haven't been here in a while.

I think the Phillies are smoking crack, it will come down to the Mets and the Braves this year. Goddamn Braves.

Figgythemick said...

Ed, thanks so much for sending me on location to see how the European leagues are doing. I can't wait to hit Amsterdam on April 3rd. However, my writing might be a bit off considering I will be wandering around out of my mind. But if I can find the team and the stadium, I will give you your moneys worth.

Anonymous said...

ED!!!

WE GOT RYAN SMYTH!!!!! HOLY S**T!!!!!!

We gave up a lot, but still....

WE GOT RYAN SMYTH!!!!!!!!!!!!