Thursday, February 15, 2007

So It Begins...

Today is a day that Mets fans have been waiting for since that cold October 19th evening, when the hopes of a World Series appearance, the first since 2000, were ended. Pitchers and Catchers report today. Spring (despite the weather in NY) is in the air. Position players report on Monday, and then things will be in full swing.

Several Mets have been in camp for a few days already, including David Wright, desperate to wash the taste of a Cardinals series that saw him hit .160 from his mouth. In addition to Wright, other early arrivals are Aaron Heilman, John Maine (taking nothing for granted, a very good sign), Mike Pelfrey, Philip Humber, Jason Vargas, Jon Adkins and Ben Johnson. But the best news for Mets fans is Pedro Martinez is already there (that makes 3 years in a row on time for Pedro, who used to be a late arrival in the past). Pedro is working hard on his rehab, and is looking forward to coming back in July or August, primed to show the best of Pedro, better than anything Mets fans have seen according to reports quoting him. But the simple fact that he is there is a boost to the fans, and to the rest of the team. Young pitchers can look to him for advice. He did it last year, and will hopefully do it again.

Now, this morning the Daily News had the obligatory "Aaron wants to start" story. Aaron once again asked if he could start, and was told no. He is needed in the pen, what with Mota being out for 50 games, and questions about Filthy Sanchez being ready for Opening Day. Duaner is rehabbing on schedule, but has not thrown off a mound yet. Heilman is a key component of the bullpen, especially in light of the question marks in the starting rotation. Now, some fans may be upset with Aaron for asking the question, feeling that he is being a tad selfish. I do not agree. He asked the question, was told no, and accepts the answer. He stated in the News

"I've got to come in and still do a job and help this team win. Unfortunately, I can't have a lot of say in what my role is. I can just try to control things I can - which is my performance when I'm out there. I'll just go out there and have another good year and help the team win."

Issue closed. He knows his role, and accepts it. He may not be happy about it, but he is moving on. Of course Adam Rubin was going to ask the question. I don't blame him for it. Aaron answered truthfully, and acknowledged what he needs to do, which is accept his role and be a key cog in the pen.

There are of course lots of questions as we enter camp. How will Perez and Maine do following their stellar performances in Games 6 & 7? How will Sanchez' rehab progress? Can Burgos and Vargas be key members of the pen? What of Juan Padilla, can he rebound from surgery? Who will emerge as the fifth starter? Is Petersen a magician, and can he fix Park or Sele? And of course, how will Glavine and El Duque fare?

From the offense, there are some questions as well. Can Reyes and Wright continue to progress? Were some of Delgado's struggles last year related to his elbow issues, and will the offseason surgery help him (I know, the man had a great year, but there were some slumps)? Can Beltran replicate his fantastic season of a year ago? Will Alou stay healthy and provide Wright with protection in the order? Will 'Stache be the 'Stache of July, or of October? Will Milledge push Green for the starting job in right, or perhaps a bench role? Can Milledge shake the problem child label he is being tagged with by fans and the media? Can PLD do it again? Quesitons abound. But you know what, Mets fans have to be feeeling good at this point. Experience was gained lart year for a lot of key youngsters. And the pain of loss is a great motivator.

Even with the questions as camp begins for the reigning NL East Champions, they still have to be considered the favorite in the East. Yes, the Braves shored up their pen, but lost some offense. And I wonder, why is it that people think Hampton can come back to what he once was, but people question whether Glavine and El Duque can still do the job? Yes, the Phillies added Freddy Garcia, but they still lack a good bridge to Tom (Puke) Gordon. Oh, and they better hope Freddy doesn't get whiplash watching all those fly balls leave the bandbox that is Citizens Bank Park. The Marlins surprised last year, but how many of those youngsters can repeat their performances? Note the lack of the Nationals in the discussion, they suck.

Let the battle begin! Opening Day is April 1. It can't get here soon enough.

7 comments:

Toasty Joe said...

Whenever I see "it begins..." I think of Barney Gumble going back on the sauce after his astronaut training. Am I the only one who knows what I'm talking about?

Mike said...

I'd like to have heard that Oliver Perez showed up early.

Ed in Westchester said...

The Simpsons tight Toasty?

Mike - yeah, that would have been nice. Wonder if there might be a personal reason for it.

Coop said...

But Mike - didn't OhPea play winter ball somewhere? I thought I remembered reading that he did

Anonymous said...

I am dying to see what this Humber fella can do. I read an article about the kid a few years ago that he is going to be lights out when he matures.

I would like to see if he is going to be the Humber I read about or just another hummer. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Mike said...

Wonder if there might be a personal reason for it . . . didn't OhPea play winter ball somewhere?

Well, I had him locked up in my basement with his nipples affixed to a milking device. I got some super queso ranchero as a result.

But I let him go on January 20th, and I told him to report to training camp on time. Aggghhhh, he's so undisciplined.

Coop said...

Dude, that's f'ing sick. SICK!!! Kind of like the alien in American Dad -- he goes through "heat" and lactates that apparently contributes to some really great potato salad. Blech -- good thing I hate potato salad.