Thursday, December 07, 2006

Odds & Ends

Not a whole heck of a lot going on. Yeah, Omar is apparently talking to the A's about a couple of guys, but that is normal business at the Winter Meetings. Of the guys being named, I would prefer Haren, but if the cost is beyond Heilman and Milledge, no thanks, spend the money on Zito.

Another team the Mets had been linked to, the White Sox, traded Freddy Garcia to the Philets. This probably removes any chance of the Mets obtaining Vasquez (good IMHO) or Beurhle (not so good IMHO, I like him). The Philets traded Gavin Floyd and another youngster. They add Garcia to Hamels and Leiber. Not bad. But they still have only Ryan Howard, and still have Flash in the pan Gordon as closer. I'm not worried.

Congrats to Mike Piazza, who signed with the A's as DH, 1 year, $8.5 million. This is great for Mike, no more catching, and he can play every day. I expect a big year from Mike.

And good news for Jon Lester, who was declared cancer free.

I'm not upset over Bannister being traded. The guy was wild, and nibbled, a younger Trachsel (though he never pulled himself out of a game). In return, Omar gets reliever Ambiorix Burgos, a 22 year old who throws hard, with a K per inning average in his ML career. A tad wild, but good stuff. Bannister is replaceable, with Pelfrey, Mulvey, Humber, Perez, Maine and others on board.

The meetings end today, but the fun will continue. Zito is apparently visiting NY next week. Maybe a Hanukah present? What do you say Omar?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you what, Ed. I am going to be severely p*ssed off if Omar does not net us at least Zito. If he's just worried about years, fugettaboutit. Zito is as close to a sure-thing as there is, esp in this market.

I have always said not to doubt Omar but I am getting antsy. There is no way Zito should not be in a Mets uni and if not, I am going to go ballistic.

I seriously believe he thinks we are OK the way we are. OK Jose Valentin as our starting 2B? You have to f'ng kidding me. Glavine is our ace? OK the dude is good but he's gonna realize he's old one of these days. OK we have guys down the pipeline...so the F what? We were one swing away from making the world series this year, and would have won, btw, and if he thinks the team is going to fly by the way they did, he's got another thing coming.

But of course, my rant is null and void if we get Zito. Thanks for listening!

Ed in Westchester said...

coop - first, no need to censor expletives, this is an area of free speech. Shit, I am know to let them fly from time to time.

I'm with you on Zito, to a point. I think 5 years is the most I would go. The track record for longer term deals is not a good one. As for $, go to $17.5 million per. I love Zito, and think he will thrive here. I'm talking 20 wins Cy Young thrive. Who gives a rats ass if he can't throw 94, very few can. He's got good stuff, and the Jacket will touch his shoulder, and all will be right in the world. Hopefully Zito tells Boras "get it done with the Mets, screw the Rangers". (I love writing screw the Rangers, even in a non-hockey related context, but I digress).

As for 'Stache, I also agree. I worry about the "lightning in a bottle" scenario. Look at Roberto Hernandez, had a good year in 2005, not so much last year. I fear 'Stache is not up to playing every day all year. He tried to get Lugo, and there are other guys out there who could potentially platoon, so we shall see.

Mike said...

Mike Piazza, who signed with the A's

And the greatest hitting catcher in MLB history, moves to yet another extreme pitchers' park!

If he'd played his career in Coors, Fenway & Wrighly, rather than Dodgers Stadium, Shea & Petco, he'd have a lifetime .335 BA with 500 HRs.

As it stands, he's still the best hitting catcher based purely on the numbers, but his ballparks have actually hurt his career numbers badly.

Home batting average: .297
Road batting average: .321

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=piazzmi01

Ed in Westchester said...

Mike - as if we needed more proof of how great Piazza is.
Man, what a stark difference.
Don't you have a CLE or something?

Mike said...

Only a half day this time.

As it stands, I think I'm one credit short of filling in my "cycle."

Have to scrounge around and find a credit I earned at some luncheon from my last firm, or something. Don't feel like upping for another all-day gig just to get that one credit.