Monday, December 11, 2006

&$%&^(#$&*#%( JETS

Now, I tried, I really did. I acted like a player would, telling myself that Mangini would appear at my doorstep and fine me if I even so much as thought about the playoffs. I told myself there is no such thing as a sure thing in the NFL. I also told myself however, that this was a new regime, and that this Jets team would not have anymore stinkers. Heck, Herm is gone, so that is half the battle I told myself.

Well, myself and pretty much every Jets fan bought into the hype. The media led the way, looking for nuggets. Feel good stories abounded, using the Jets as the example of a good NY football team (as opposed to the (notso)Giants). I had a bad feeling going into yesterday's game, since it was Buffalo, who always, no matter what, gives a good fight. Even earlier this year, the Jets were somewhat lucky to get out of Orchard Park with a win. Of course, our worst fears were realized, and it hurts them, a lot. First, Herm did his usually stellar coaching job, moving KC to basically an afterthought in the playoff race. Then, Miami (who had the sideshow of Saban possibly leaving for the Miami college job), pastes the Patriots, putting 1st place within 1 game should the Jets win. All for naught, as they proceeded to shit the bed.

It was bad enough when Willis McGahee ran for 57 yards (of course, he ran fast, since he was looking for the nearest bucket to do his McNabb impression into). But to allow JP Losman to throw a 77 yard bomb? That is unconscionable. Losman is a piece of crap QB, who should have been killed all day. They allowed the Bills to run all over them, again, and pass all over them, again.

Chad did not help matters. Two fumbles, picks, poor reads. He reverted back to where he was a couple of weeks ago. Some of the blame has to go to Brian Schottenheimer, who did nothing to change the game plan when it was clear the Bills were just dropping back, very little blitzing. And the 2 headed RB monster was little help. How about we run with the hot legs for a while guys?

Of course, the media this AM is loving it. Mangini goes from genius to idiot, as the "fact" that the rotations on defense hurt them on the McGahee run and the Losman pass. Ah, the fickle NY media, it's almost as bad as the fans.

So the Jets now face the task of winning their last 3 and hoping for some help, as the other teams they are fighting with for the WC spot won yesterday. Denver has an easy schedule. As for the Jets, not so much, given yesterday. However, I do think that Mangini is going to have this team ready to bounce back against the Vikings. Then, a little Christmas present in Miami. Then, lets see what happens against the Raiders, who will hopefully be looking to lock up the #1 draft spot.

Are the hopes for a playoff berth done, close. But there is always a chance. Any Given Sunday, as we saw yesterday.

6 comments:

Mike said...

Jets are screwed. In a weird way I'm relieved -- now I don't have to get excited setting myself up for a season-ending loss in a big game.

Chad sucked yesterday: three turnovers, a second fumble that the Jets recovered. Plus, he rolled out into the sack on the first fumble, for no good reason. D'Brickashaw pushed his man outside, but instead of stepping up, Chad left the pocket . . . and left the ball unprotected.

Ugh. My man KClem better take this offseason seriously. There's a job to be earned.

Ed in Westchester said...

Mike, for most of the season, Chad has played well. Give him a real running back, and they probably have at least 1 more win, if not two.
I don't think that KClem is going to be in the running come training camp. Come week 9 next year, maybe. But if they can get an RB in the draft, that changes things.
The whole team stepped on their cranks with golf shoes yesterday. How the hell can they not stop an ailing McGahee? I want Vilma to shut the hell up. Stop Willis, and then you can talk smack. And to allow a 77 yard TD pass to Losman? Frak me. Chad was harried all day, with little blitzing. The line was not that good.
I think they will win the next two weeks, be in the running, making for a must win against Al's boys.

Mike said...

I feel as if you & I watched separate games yesterday. Chad faced a lot of pressure?

He had plenty of time, and he kept missing his spots. Even some of the completions were badly thrown.

I look at Pennington and I don't see a QB who can win it for us. At least he used to be a misake-free noodle armed ball-lofter. Now he's a mistake-prone noodle-armed ball lofter.

It's exactly as I felt all last summer about Trachsel, even though I was soundly mocked for it. Chad may be a smart guy, a good guy, and to paraphrase Rick speaking to Ilsa, "We'll always have 2002."

But he can't do it anymore. I think Mangiani's smart, and I think he's tough. I'll be very surprised if Chad's the starter next year. If not Clemens, they maybe they grab a FA.

Ed in Westchester said...

I admit, I did not see all of the game, but I did see several instances of pressure, and of course he was sacked 4 times.

Yes, a large part of the blame goes to his throwing, he threw several bad balls, including the INT that was returned for a TD.

Mangini does not strike me as a guy who is going to throw Clemens in there with 1 back up year under his belt. He is saying all the right things about Chad's game management and so forth. Then again, he left Chad twisting in camp, even when he was by far the best option.

A FA as new QB might work, but I am not sure what the cap hit if they cut Chad would be, in light of his new renegotiated contract. Depends on the FA.

Mike said...

If Clemens isn't ready, then no go. I agree. And a solid vet FA who has a little more zip on the ball may be the way to go.

But, big picture, Mangiani strikes me as a guy who goes with his best. Look at the list of coaches who've gone to young QB's "before they were ready": Shula, Walsh, Fisher this year, Parcells many times. Winners (and I think Mangiani's one) do the right thing, regardless of the convensional wisdom.

Ed in Westchester said...

I just wish he would pick 1 running back and stick with it. When the O-Line has to ask after a TD is scored on the ground who scored it, you have issues (I read this anecdote over the weekend, I think in the Times, but not sure).

I know, he is having success, but it may wind up biting him in the ass at some point.

I agree, he is a winner, and he may do it. But if they end this year respectable (and they will, based on pre-season expectations), and if Chad finishes strong, it will be hard to change. There are those who do not think too highly of Clemens. Me, the jury is out still.