Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Housekeeping

looks like sanchez is going to be late again...a few months

"The Boy", comment posted 3/26/07

Yep, that seems to be the case. Dirty has a hairline fracture in his shoulder, a possible after-effect of the original injury. Assuming the surgery and rehab goes well, and that Dirty is on time for all of it, he could be back in AUgust, around the same time as Pedro. I'm not gonna hold my breath. Not that I don't have faith in Dirty, it's just you don't know what is going to happen.

So, our pen wil now rely more heavily on Heilman (he of the balky elbow), Joe Smith, The Show, Park (who better get out of the habit of hanging breaking balls, or the fans are going to break his), PedroDos and whoever else Omar is able to pull off the scrap heap. Is it time to panic, no. Is it time to be a little concerned, yes, since the hope was that Dirty would be back in April or May. Losing him will hurt. Let's hope Mota can come back and be effective without the benefit of needles.

In other news, the Islanders are still struggling to make the playoffs. Seven games left, and it is a tough road, playing mostly other playoff teams the rest of the way. This will be the time for them to show what they are made of. Ricky has been great since his return. Now, the offense needs to start scoring some damn goals.

Finally, this past weekend saw the second Fantasy Baseball draft of my life. Last year was year one, and I did not do too well. I did have Reyes and Wright, but too many other guys who were streaky. Plus, my pitching sucked, escpecially once Glavine and Duque went down in August, as I lost a couple of weeks for not meeting the minimum innings. So what did I do differently this year? Not much. Here is the roster for "Looper is a Douche", which I will probably change to "In Omar I Trust".
Note this is a head to head non-keeper league with 21 rounds of drafting. Not an auction. I picked 6th out of 12.

Hitters - Runs, HR's, RBI, Steals, K's, BB, AVG, SLG

C - Mike Piazza (a late round pick)
1B - Delgado
2B - Dan Uggla
3B - Joe Crede
SS - Miguel Tejada
OF - Carlos Beltran (my First round pick)
OF - Rocco Baldelli
OF - Pat Burrell
Util - Prince Fielder
Bench - Bengie Molina
Bench - Aubrey Huff

Pitchers - Wins, Saves, Holds, K's, ERA, WHIP

SP - Roy Halladay
SP - Jeremy Bonderman
RP - Brad Lidge
RP - Jason Isringhausen
P - Dontrelle Willis
P - Scott Linebrink
P - Oliver "Coop's Fav" Perez
BN - Brad Penny (only for games not at Shea)
BN - Pedro Feliciano
BN - Mike Pelfrey (Last pick for me)

These are my guys. I'm not too happy with my closers, but the pickings were slim. I don't have a lot of speed, so steals will be a category I won't win.

That's all for today. Be back tomorrow with the Weekly Observations.

13 comments:

Mike said...

I like your pitching. Pretty solid, especially with the starters.

One question though: Rocco Baldelli??? He's still alive?

Ed in Westchester said...

Yeah, I needed some "muscle" on the team.
Joey Bagadonuts and Muscles Marinara weren't available. SO I went with Rocco.

Anonymous said...

Ed,
Your pitching staff looks pretty damn good! I wouldn't worry too much about your closers at this point...but here's my problem with fantasy baseball.....
Are you going to be rooting for Izzy come Sunday night? Ah! There's the rub!
Sheadenizen

Anonymous said...

ED! we're screwed.

Ricky DP has PCS and is out indefinitely.

Kiss this season goodbye and Smyth is probly a goner now too :(

I wanna curl into a ball and cry!

Sassdawg. said...

I'm in a similar league. 21 rounds 2 keepers

Similar Scoring, but pitching in this league will kill you.

Round by round analysis,

1st Berkman
2nd Ramirez, Aramis not Manny
3rd Guillen, Carlos not Jose
4th Ordonez, Magglio not Rey
5th Delgado
6th Utley (Keeper)
7th Billy Wagner
8th Kazmir
9th Craig Monroe
10th Willingham
11th Piazza
12th Lidge
13th Ollie
14th Tulowitzki, ROY Candidate
15th Junior
16th Jacobs Waived for Milledge
17th Wang Chung (keeper)
18th Maine
19th Prior waived for John Danks on CHW
20th Wheeler
21st Amburglar waived for Heilman.


Not a bad little team

Anonymous said...

ED!

We have hope! From hockeybuzz.com....

With cautious optimism…it now appears that Rick DiPietro is not suffering from post-concussion syndrome and may return as early as Friday’s game against the Sabres.

He experienced headaches after Sunday’s Rangers game and his being sidelined tonight for precautionary reasons.

His status remains day-to-day.

Test results haven’t been perfect but also have not resulted in him being categorized as having suffered a concussion.

We’ll know more fairly soon as the Islander organization is preparing a formal announcement to be released shortly.

Ed in Westchester said...

sassdawg - I wish I had keepers. I could have kept Reyes and Wright.
Your team looks pretty good.

Ed in Westchester said...

Dep - I'm going to be cautious here and not get too excited.
They need to win tonight, regardless, and hope that he can come back for the next game.
The last thing we want is for him to be like Brett Lindros.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya Ed, cautious optimism!

I dont like how the team plays in front of Dunham at all.

We'll see if it changes tonight, but they just dont play with confidence without the DP. :(

Arnie Shaw said...

Ed, you had to draft Piazza. He is actually a good pick as he will probably play more than most catchers this year, since he wont be catching.

Arnie Shaw said...

Oh by the way...come visit us over at www.justnyjets.com (or thejetsblog.blogspot.com). We have a new feature where we are interviewing people. Our first interview is with an NFL agent. Come visit and feel free to comment boys.

Ed in Westchester said...

unruly - Oh, I'm happy with the Piazza pick. It was in a later round, and for the reason you noted.
I'm not happy with Rocco and a couple of other hitters.
I hate my closers.
I have no speed. Beltran better steal 30 - 40 for me.

Mike said...

Carlos implies he'll be running more this year. I believe it.