Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Who Shows Up Tonight?

This has been a season of highs (a 9-1 road trip, leading the division since game 3) and lows (insert Jose Lima start here). Last night's game was a microcosm of the season. The high came when the Mets went up 2-0 in the fourth behind Delgado, Green and 'Stache. The low started in the bottom of the fourth, as the Cards tied it when Albert Pujols woke up and hit one out, followed by Belliard driving in the tying run. Then in the bottom of the fifth, the Cards took the lead for good. Tommy Glavine just did not have his best stuff last night. He was far from awful, but he was not nearly the pitcher he had been his first two post-season starts.

Many feelings are running through my head. Anger, over the inability to hit Jeff Weaver for the second game. Sadness, that this season of promise could be over tonight. And hope.

Yes, Hope, and no, I am not off my meds. Hope because the boys are coming home. Hope because I know the fans will be behind them, giving all they have to urge the guys to give all they have. Hope because we have seen John Maine dominate at times this season, why could he not be able to do it again? Hope because the Pen is ready. Hope because I know this team is not going to go down without a fight. Hope because I know David Wright cannot continue his slump another day. Hope because I remember 1986, Mets down 3-2 to the Sox, and it did not matter.

John Maine has a chance here to be forever loved. I know, I wrote something similar prior to game 1 of the NLDS, but it holds true again. If he can give his all, and keep this team in the game, the fans will feed off of it, the players will feed off of it. David has a chance to wipe away the first 5 games of futility with a good game. These guys all know that there are no guarantees in baseball, just because they ran away with it this year does not mean it can happen again next year (ask the 87 team, or the 89 team).

Yes, you worry about the pressure getting to the young guys, and even some of the older guys. But there has been pressure for a good part of the season. Too many starting pitchers to count. The sweep in Boston. The loss of Pedro and El Duque. Tonight is a chance for the team to show the pressure means nothing. To show the pundits who are calling them dead that they are not quite dead yet. To show off that AL like lineup against Chris Carpenter. And then to show it to Jeff Suppan tomorrow.

It is OK to be worried this morning fans. But it is OK to have hope. That is the feeling I will be carrying with me today and tonight.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well-said, Ed. Well-said.

Statement time for three young fellas tonight.

Darth Marc said...

Hello Edward,

It's your friend.

Stay strong. Stay strong.

Darth Marc

Anonymous said...

Hey Ed - I know you are not a Ranger fan, but channeling Mark Messier - we will win tonight.

Of course, everyone in NY says that since Messier did. But I truly mean it.

I feel - John Maine's signature game. I feel - DW and Jose praying to Jobu to wake up bats. I feel - a monster night from Delgado. I feel - Jose Alberto Pujols gets drilled in the ass. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Part of being a Mets fan is to believe. And I believe. When has this team done anything easily? We got em right where we want em!

Anonymous said...

I believe.

Darth Marc said...

Will Metstradamus still be your hero after tonight if you lose?

The self-described playoff jinx says that's he's going to game 6 despite being 0-5 in the playoffs.

oh, joy....

Ed in Westchester said...

Darth -

Your overconfidence is your weakness.