Friday, October 27, 2006

(not so) Deep Thoughts 10/27/06

Well, any hopes the Islanders had of stopping the Sabres were put to bed early, as they lost 3-0. They played OK, but once again, penalties killed them, taking 7 in all. First goal was scored on a 5-3 power play for the Sabres. Rick DP did not play poorly, considering that goal and then the last one which deflected in off of Radek Martinek. However, when the other team scores 3 goals whilst you score none, you are not going to win very often.

I see Gary Sheffield is annoyed that the Yankees might pick up his option. This differs from earlier in the season when Gary was annoyed because they had not picked up his option. Gary flip-flops more than John Kerry.

Sheff has threatened to retire if he is traded to un-named certain teams. Or, if he does report, he will just throw balls away like he did as a Brewer.

Islander Brendan Witt just took another penalty.

Tiki Barber is feuding with various media members for bashing him over his decision to retire. I'm not a Giants fan, but I love Tiki for this, as well as calling the critics "idiots". Among the people bashing Tiki saying he "quit" on the team is Michael Irvin. Irvin claims teammates are not going to listen to Tiki since he is retiring, since he would not have. If I am a Giant player, I am offended that Irvin would compare me to him. This is the same guy who was locked up for drugs how many times? And he says Barber is a distraction?

Jaromir Jagr is having a poor start to the season. Wow, it took a whole year for him to fall back into his old sulking persona.

Kevin Barlow is happy for Leon Washington (thanks Herm!) having the chance to shine. Barlow said that KB will have his chance to shine. At which point, he took out some polish and got to work on Leon's oxfords, like a good back-up should.

SI is supposed to be a serious sports publication. That being the case, why must we be subjected to weekly mails bags (blatant Sports Guy rip-off) from Jenn Sterger (noted for nothing more than a rack a stripper would be proud of). This weeks deep probes included someone asking about Halloween costumes (cause nothing is more sports oriented) and fight songs. Wow, tough topics there for Jenn. Hope she didn't strain herself there.

Stan "The Maven" Fischler has a blog. Earlier this week, he wondered how Alexei Yashin would do against the Florida Panthers last night. He did quite well, beating them on his X-Box. As for on the ice, the Isles played the Sabres. Quoth the Maven, "Oh Shit".

Islander Sean Hill just took another penalty.

Derek Jeter stated earlier this week that all is fine and dandy in the Yankee clubhouse between him and A-Rod. He also refused to confirm that he spoke to The Boss about Torre. Yep, that's leadership by The Captain, refuse to stick up for a teammate or your manager in public.

Braden Looper led "Jose Jose Jose" chants in the Cards locker room after Game 7. When asked about it the other day, he claimed they always do that. Yep, except that was usually after Reyes got a few hits helping out their fantasy baseball teams. I have a couple of words of advise for Mr. Looper. Next time the Cards visit NY, it might be wise to be "ill". If you think the booing was bad in 2005 and during the playoffs, you ain't seen nothing yet.

A few writers have opined that Jim Leyland should remove Todd Jones as closer and replace him with Joel Zumaya. Yep, that would work well.

Dirty Kenny Rogers is slated to pitch Game 6 (if necessary). Tony LaRussa will be overseeing the washing of his hands.

Breaking news, Gary Sheffield is still pissed.

When is someone going to drill David Eckstein?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jaromir's just saving himself for April this time around!

Oh wait, you wouldn't understand what I just wrote, because Islander fans aren't familiar with this "April" concept. Do Islander calendars just go from March right to July?

Ed in Westchester said...

My boys just took last year off, they were tired after playing in them the couple of years prior. Your boys went about 8 years without, so they were due. Nice showing by them by the way.

I know this April you speak of, that's when baseball starts, right?

Anonymous said...

Yes it is.

And after one week off, I'm already getting antsy.

Anonymous said...

Mike, I hear ya man. I'm just like - I WANT the cardinals to win (and yes you can use that against me) just so the freaking series would end already. END ALREADY SO WE CAN GET TO THE HOT STOVE MEETINGS.

Technically, I *can* watch baseball, but I won't on principle. Why bother when I can watch the HBO documentaries on the Cubs and Red Sox. I'd rather watch those 1000 times on a loop than Eckstein charging up to first on a walk (I hear ya on that one too Ed)

And Ed - I saw your vote of confidence on Y2K. Thanks man! but don't worry, I won't take any readers away from you...in fact, I will still visit and get my daily dose of bloggage.

A Friend of Mr. Glass' said...

Ed -- just returning the favor. Keep up the good work.

Ed in Westchester said...

afomg - thanks. You too.

Arnie Shaw said...

I like the deep thought about someone drilling Ecksteen!

Plus the one about Michael Irving. I sort of like that guy bc whenever I see him behind the sports desk I swear he is high. Next time you watch him think of that. You'll see what I am talking about.

PS: Ed, check out my latest blog about who Mangini is starting at RB this week.

thejetsblog.blogspot.com "JETS, Blog, blog, blog" I am on your side bar.

Thanks!