Friday, August 25, 2006

That's the Best the NL's Got?

So the Mets pass another test. The St. Louis Cardinals were a pre-season favorite to win the NL and represent it in the World Series. The first time the Mets faced them in St. Louis, the Cards won 2 of 3. This time, the story was quite different, as the Mets swept their way to victory. Scores of 8-7, 10-8 and 6-2. Last night was particularly sweet, as Dave Williams, picked of from Cincinnati earlier this year got the win, pitching 6 1/3 of two run ball. Shawn Green made his Met debut to nice applause, and drove in a run with a single, and also collected a walk. Carlos Delgado had yet another Home Run. Jose Reyes had 3 hits, The Undertaker had 2, including a triple to drive in Reyes. David Wright had a sac fly and a single. Only 'Stache (in his first start since his hammy) and Beltran (MVP) did not collect a hit from the position players. Beltran did have a walk, 'Stache had 2, as did Delgado.

PItching was strong, Williams pitched well in his second start for the Mets, Roberto Hernandez pitched 1 2/3 scoreless and hitless innings. Guillermo Mota had a 1-2-3 ninth, 9 pitches, 7 strikes, with two strike outs. He looked downright nasty. If he can be fixed, watch out, the Mets may have found a bridge along with Heilman to Wagner.

Tonight, the Phillies visit Shea. They are without Rowand, who broke his ankle landing on his head after a collision with Chase Utley. Ugly play, he could have snapped his neck. Ryan Howard continues to mash (attention all those blaming the HR contest on Wright's slump, it has not impacted Big Papi or Howard), forcing his way into the MVP discussion with Pujols and Beltran. As far as that goes, if St. Louis misses the playoffs, I don't see how Pujols can win it. As for Howard, his defense is, to put it kindly, poor. Beltran on the other hand is a very good center fielder, as well as a very good hitter. Take him out of the lineup, and the Mets are not where they are. They may still lead the NL East, but it would be more of a fight. The discussion over him hitting 2nd is dead. The whole lineup is predicated on him hitting 3rd. It allows Delgado to see better pitches. It gives Reyes and LoDuca protection as well. Move him out of there, and the lineup is simply not as potent. Still strong, but not the same.

This weekend is a test. Philly is hot, and the Mets need to make a statement. Seems odd to say that when the Magic Number is 22, but Philly is playing well. The Mets need to extend the lead more, and build on the lead for Home-Field Advantage in the Playoffs. Brian Bannister returns tonight, facing the lefty Randy Wolf. It will be interesting to see the lineup tonight, will Delgado and Green both play, or will one of them sit? Plus, will the rain play a role. Tomorrow may see the Met debut of Oliver Perez. That should be interesting. Lets see if Omar pulled a fast one on Littlefield. Nady has done well in Pittsburgh (and good for him), Hernandez has been up and down. If Perez can do well, the deal will be a steal, despite what some local writers may write.

By the way, the Magic Number stands at 18 over the Braves. I'm just saying.

Tomorrow, as I will be attending the Jet-Giant game at the Meadowlands (thanks to a friend/neighbor), I will hope to have some interesting Jets news.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa!

At what point in the thread? Who said something?

Mike said...

Yeah, I noticed that Andrew scolded FireWillie -- on the last page of the thread -- but couldn't figure out why.

Good move, Ed. And enjoy the Jet-Giant game. Root for no injuries, least of all to my man, KClem.

Anonymous said...

Ed - Have fun at the game...I'll be at Shea...we can trade notes over the weekend.

Sheadenizen - you're a girl? get outta here.

Ed in Westchester said...

denizen - You're welcome. My wife is Jewish, so I take that stuff seriously. I can take a good joke, as can she, but the fake FW was being a jerk, looking for trouble.

Thanks for the good wishes for tonight all. Keep your fingers crossed Mike.

And no, I do not mind that you use it as a message board. Enjoy! I'm glad to bring fans together in my own little way.

Anonymous said...

Wait, sheadenizen is a girl?!?!?!

I'm with Dep. I had no idea.

Ed, while I don't think the HR derby had a huge effect on Wright, someone argued to me that Big Papi and Howard have natural HR swings, whereas David probably altered his swing just a tad to get a little more lift. It's a valid point. David is not a pure HR hitter like those 2 guys. Having said that, I expect him to snap out of this funk very soon...

I have never expected a Mets team to go the World Series. Hoped? Sure. Expected? No. It scares me.

And Ed, have fun at the game man.

Anonymous said...

SheaDen-

Looks like you're secret's out. But I'll never tell . . . I'm a gentleman! ;-D

Oh, and Ed: My wife is Jewish My condolences!

{Ducks the object SheaDen flings at me!}