Friday, August 11, 2006

Gone Beaching

As I noted earlier this week, the Cafe will be closed starting tomorrow, as I head south for some sun and fun with the wife and kids. I should be back on Monday August 21.

While I'm gone, to continue with yesterday's closing, some more "Fun with Numbers"

For anyone interested in how to determine the magic number, try this link.

The only clutch hitting third baseman in New York is quite good really (like you did not know that). Let's review, he won yesterdays game with his double, he won the game Tuesday as well, driving in the tying and winning runs. Let's look at some season stats:

Wright is hitting 312, 22 HR's, with 86 RBI, 388 OBP and a 552 SLG.
RISP - 368 avg, 5 HR, 62 RBI, 440 OBP, 576 SLG and 1.016 OPS.

Let's look at the other NY third baseman, shall we?

He is hitting 282, with 23 HR's, 81 RBI, 385 OBP, 494 SLG
RISP - 285, 9 HR's, 60 RBI, 421 OBP, 509 SLG, 1.003 OPS

Best of all, Wright is making $374,000 compared to $25,680,727, or 1.5% of the pay.

Of course, the other third baseman is leading the league in being booed by his own inappreciative fans.

Who would have thought the Mets would have a 14 game lead on August 11? I mean, at the beginning of the season, not yesterday.

Who would have thought that the Braves would be 17 games back?

69 is a very nice number. For wins, get your minds out of the gutter.

Carlos Beltran is having quite the season:
101 games, 377 at bats - 85 runs, 107 hits, 29 doubles, 33 HR's, 97 RBI, 284 avg, 386 OBP, 623 SLG, 1.010 OPS. His team is the best in the NL, with a 69-44 record.
Why was he being booed during game 1 again?

A leading MVP candidate, for comparisons sake:
96 games, 355 at-bats - 85 runs, 114 hits, 22 doubles, 34 HR's, 91 RBI, 321 avg, 430 OBP, 676 SLG, 1.106 OPS. Oh, and his team is slumping lately, with a 62 - 52 record. I write of Albert Pujols of course.

Well, that's all for now. Leaving early tomorrow/late tonight. Lots of driving, 670 miles for about 12 hours (I have two young girls, I will be making a few pit stops I am sure).

While I'm out, please be sure to check out the links to the right if you have not already done so. Some great writers on that list.

4 comments:

Ed in Westchester said...

thanks denizen.
I'll miss the geek, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

Noooo...I forgot you were leaving.

Have the best time buddy, you will be sorely missed :)

Question: So I was on Mike's blog, what's SWI and BWI?

I guess its something "while influenced", but I cant figure out what the B and S are.

Ed in Westchester said...

dep - you mean you don't know BS when you see it? I'm stunned.

seriously:
S is "surfing" as in the net, not the ocean.

B is blogging. Mike recommended I not blog (post) while intoxicated.

Thanks for the good wishes. I will miss the geek, especially when Trax pitches :)

mmmm, beer. aaahhh

Anonymous said...

Wow, even Met fans are booing A-Rod at this point. Amazing, for sure..

With all due respect to Wright, who is indeed one of the best players of the game, I'd like to point out a couple of items before granting David the 3rd base trophy for NY.

1) Arod has been caught in a miserable slump for close to 2 months now. Yet his numbers are still not all that different then Wright's. Let's see how Aug and Sept progress...

2) We haven't seen Wright do it over the long haul. I'm sure he will, but he hasn't done it yet. Only after a couple more years should Wright even start to get mentioned with Alex, no matter how difficult it is for me to say so!

Enjoy your trip; as you know, we'll be making the same trip starting on the day of your return.

-commish