Saturday, August 26, 2006

Nice Seats!

So last night, for only the third time in my life, I made the trek across the Hudson to see the Jets live. I have now seen a regular season game, a pre-season game, and a playoff game. My record is 1-2, with the win coming in the playoff game.

My first live game was in the early 80's against the Patriots. My dad took me along with a couple of his friends. Wesley Walker was stil playing, as was Ken O'brien, and Johnny Lam Jones. I believe they lost that day.

A couple of years ago, my neighbor asked me if I would like to go to the playoff game against the Colts. After about 30 milliseconds of thought, I said yes. The seats, how shall I say this, were pretty good. It was actually one of the Jets suites, free booze and food. It was quite cold outside that day, but since we were enclosed, no worries. The Jets demolished Peyton Manning 41-0. Sweet.

So last weekend, after returning from my trip, my neighbor calls to ask me to help carry in his new TV. Seems he bought himself a 46" LCD. After I help, he asks if I want to go last night, but tells me the seats are not quite as good as the last time. I say yes, figuring, it's August, so at least it won't be cold. We get to the game, and he gets a call on his cell. After he hangs up he tells me it was a contact of his from work wo works for the Jets, who wants to knwo if we would like to get a bite to eat and a drink in the VIP tent, and then go down to the field for pre-game warmups. So, I spent the hour from 7 - 8 PM last night on the sidelines. Much of the defense did drills within 10 feet of me. At a little before 8, we go to our seats, section 117, row 13, which is in the end-zone. Very good seats again. I have to remember to stay real friendly with this neighbor.

As for the game itself, not much to tell. For a while, it seemed like Paul Hackett was calling the plays, what with all the draws being called. Once they let Chad throw, he looked OK, considering he is coming back from surgery and missed a few days of practice. He is having some issues on sideline throws. He needs more game reps. It was a good move letting him play nearly 3 quarters last night, but he only attempted 15 passes. The running game never really got going.

Justin McCareins probably saved his roster spot with a nice catch and run. Kevin Barlow did not impress, in limited action. Leon Washington looked pretty good, and Blaylock did as well. Justin Miller did not muff any returns, but took an unforgivable personal foul penalty on a 3 and goal incompletion, which would have forced the Giants to kick a field goal. Instead, automatice first down, so the stand went for naught. D'Brickashaw Ferguson had two bad false start penalties. I did not see a lot of Kellen Clemens (sorry Mike) as we left near the end of the third quarter.

One eye was checking for the Met score during the game. While the loss is not devastating, I do not like giving the Phillies hope. Let's hope Oliver Perez does well tonight. And, memo to Rick Down, your third baseman and #5 hitter is in a slump, maybe you could spend a little time with him?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did not see a lot of Kellen Clemens (sorry Mike) as we left near the end of the third quarter.

I guess the autumn temperatures last night led you to leave early.