Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Odds & Ends

As there was no Met game last night, time for me to do a little housecleaning.

1. Jets camp has been interesting. Curtis Martin is on the PUP list. This is a concern for Jet fans, as the running back would be Derrick Blaylock, who is a step down from Curtis. There was a rumor that perhaps Curtis is on the PUP list so that he can miss the early part of camp, giving him a little more rest, and not having to worry about the 2 a days. Let's hope that is the case.

2. Also at Jet camp, Chad Pennington is apparently the front runner in the QB competition. Now, I like Chad, he is a gamer, but when a QB with a twice repaired rotator cuff is leading all comers to be the starter, that's not saying much for your back-ups. I did not like the Patrick Ramsey trade, the drafting of Kellen Clemens irritated me on his name alone, and Brooks Bollinger, well, he's Brooks Bollinger dammit.

3. Garth Snow has been responding to fan emails over on newyorkislanders.com. Nothing of note really, just nice to see him taking the time doing so.

4. Mike Piazza makes his return to Shea tonight. Lots of press over this, and a lot of differing opinion on how fans should react. My take, cheer him his first time up. He deserves it. However, that is where it ends. No rooting for him to hit a game winner, let him do that to the Braves, Phillies et al. The Mets need wins baby. I liked Mike as a Met, but he is no longer a Met, so I cannot root for him over my team. I would not root for a former Jet against the Jets, or a former Islander against the Isles. This is not a case of a player being banished, this was a joint decision for Mike not to return. Give him thanks for a good stretch here, and that is it.

5. Michael Kay is an idiot. For more on why, visit either Metstradamus or Toasty Joe. Let's just say the man has issues.

6. Chris Russo is still an idiot. Now he is slamming the agents for Jose Reyes, saying they left money on the table, considering what David Wright got. Two things Chris. First, Jose signed a shorter deal, so he can hit Free Agency earlier, and make up the difference. Second, Wright is a power hitter, and chicks (and management) love the long ball. Of course Wright is going to be paid more you numbskull. Reyes, for all his talent, is a speed guy. Speed guys make less.

Finally, the Cafe will be closed for the most part next week (8/12 - 8/20) as the proprietor and family head off to the beach. I will try to get a post or two up, but am unsure of the availability of a computer (I do not own a laptop), and whether the sun/beer will impair my ability to put together coherent thoughts (or make it worse than usual). I will of course do my best to follow our boys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are going to love Kellen Clemens leading Jets Nation in a few years. This guy has an absolute cannon and fears nothing.

I'm a huge fan of his obviously.

He's a Brett Favre clone...he just needs time.

Ed in Westchester said...

dep - I certainly hope that is the case with Kellen. I just can't get past the last name :)

Anonymous said...

Dep!!! In the future warn me before a post like that.

Now here I am at work, and I gotta change my pants, I need tissues. Jeez, guy!

Ed-

You be posting between now and the vacation? If not, enjoy yourself. And I strongly advise against BWI.

The "B" would stand for blogging.

Not to mention, with activities like wiffle ball, frisbee, body surfing, and most importantly, checking out the babes without your wife noticing too much, I wouldn't waste a sweet beer + sun buzz (and maybe a tad of DD's namesake as well, but that's just me) on blogging.

Ed in Westchester said...

Mike - I'll be posting between now and Saturday.
Odds are there will be no posts.
As for deps namesake, while I do partake in the beer ocassionally (OK, often), I am one of the few who can honestly say "I did not inhale, much less touch". Not my cup of tea.