Friday, April 06, 2007

Time to Make Like Sherman

Following the beating adminstered to the Cardinals (I wonder how the fans on Cardinals Diaspora are doing?), the Mets move to Atlanta. No bones about it, this is a big series this weekend. Yes, I know it is early, but the Braves manhandled the Phillies this week, and stand at 3-0, just like our beloved Mets. Larry is already saying the Mets are the measuring stick this year for them. Let's take that stick and use it against them, shall we? Put some early distance between us and them. Be the bullies.

For an analysis of the sacrificial lambs pitchers the Braves will be sending against us, go to Metsgeek.com, as Alex Nelson provides his usual excellent breakdown of who we will face this weekend.

Now, last year, by going 11-7, the Mets started to exorcise the demons. They went 6-3 at Turner Field, having a winning record there for the first time. But you and I know that if they fail to win this weekend, the pundits will be turning on the Mets faster than David Wells attacks a buffet. An early statement was sent to the Cardinals. Now, send the same statement to Atlanta. Show Larry and Smirky and Frenchy that their time is done. This is our division, we just let them play in it. I want to see Jose driving pitchers nuts. I want to see the Carlos' do some damage. I want young David to find his doubles stroke. Alou and Green have been OK, lets see them continue. We might get a Milledge sighting, so lets hope Blastings can show some of the skills he displayed in the spring.

I think the guys realize the Braves are no longer the bullies. The Mets are. Yes, Larry is still dangerous, and Smirky is in his contract year, so he may actually hustle once in a while. McCann is a very good hitter. Renteria had a good series against the Phillies. But that was the Phillies, not exactly a team with a great bullpen, or even great starters (though Hamels is scary good). The Mets are sending Perez, Glavine and Hernandez to the hill. That's a trio that has a bit more talent than what the Braves faced earlier this week.

I want to take 2 of 3 here. I'm not overly greedy. A sweep would be better. Put them down now. Show the division we mean business.


********************
Brief Islanders note

Now, I've been a tad remiss in not writing much about the Islanders. I'll be honest, once Rick DiPietro went down, I thought they were done. He had singlehandedly brought them to the brink of the playoffs, and when he went down, Mike Dunham did not pick up the slack. They played uneven hockey for a few games, and fell back. But then, a switch seemed to be flicked. AHL call-up Wade (not Brad AL Trautwig, you tool) Dubielewicz has played very well the last few games. Thanks to the Rangers (excuse me while I rip out my fingernails with pliers, ok, I'm back), and a big win over Toronto for the good guys last night, they still have a chance. A slight one, but a shot nonetheless. Here goes.
The Isles have 2 games left, and no room for error. They win, and if Toronto can beat Montreal on Saturday, they are in. Of course, they will face the Sabres in the first round, but hey, you never know.
One loss, or a Montreal win, and it is over. A Montreal win no matter what, and it is over.
So, is there hope? Yes. They play Philly on Saturday. They play the Devils on Sunday. They haven't done well against the Devils, but you and I know that if they have a shot on Sunday of getting in with a win, Ted Nolan will make damn sure the boys play with every last bit of energy they have.
I think they are going to do it.
Keep your fingers crossed.

5 comments:

Mike said...

It should be a tough series. The Braves have some talented hitters, no doubt. I think there'll be a lot of runs scored between the two teams.

2 of 3 at the Ted would a nice start. That'd leave the boys at 5-1 and the Braves at 4-2 going into next week. I say it again -- I think the division race will be tough this year with the Braves.

Coop said...

Ed, I say that if the Mets absolutely *have* to lose a game this weekend, please have it be when Duque pitches, because I want Oh Pea to go on his 20-game winner roll, so I can live up to my hype. Hee hee

But like you said, I see no reason *why* we shouldn't be able to sweep this series either. smoltz is no longer "the guy" and is as old as Glavine (and maybe Duque!), Redman is nonthreatening to say the least...wait, who's pitching on Sunday. I'm too lazy to look. I'll go on the Geek later.

Mike said...

Wow!

(That is all.)

Anonymous said...

YEAH!

LET'S GO AYE LIN DERS!

WHOO!

Had to share that with somebody.

DED said...

Thanks to the Rangers (excuse me while I rip out my fingernails with pliers, ok, I'm back),

LOL!