Friday, April 13, 2007

It Was COLD!

So, I witnessed the near carnage last night at Shea. Not a great beginning for Mr. Glavine. Giving up a solo Home Run to the hated Jimmy Rollins is not what the fans wanted to see. Following that up with 3 walks was also not good. The Phillies saved Tom from further damage there with stupid baserunning. Please tell me why Shane Victorino was running with Ryan Howard at the plate? How stupid is he? Howard, even hitting as poorly as he is, is still a very dangerous hitter (ask Ambiorix Burgos for confirmation). I'll take it though, as I'm sure Tommy did. I'll tell you this, the Phillies keep playing this dumb, and there will be no need to worry about them this season.

Rollins hit another homer in the second, after the Mets tied the game in the bottom of the first as Jose Reyes led off with a single, moved to second on a PLD grounder, and scored on a Beltran single. The fans were not happy. I was freezing a tad (maybe I should have worn mittens? Would that have helped?). It was now 3-1 Phillies.

Bottom of the second, and Alou leads off with a single. Shawn Green takes on for the team, so runners on first and second. Following a Damion Easley fly out, Tom Glavine put down a beautiful sacrifice to move the runners over. Wes Helms continued the Phillies defensive ineptitude, and threw the ball away, allowing Alou to score, and it was 3-2.

Glavine then settled into a rhythm, facing the minimum over the next 4 innings. He went 6, giving up 3 runs, 3 walks with 4 k's (including 2 of Howard). Moyer tried to settle in, but in the fourth, Alou doubled, Green popped out, Easley walked, and Glavine bunted again. This time the catcher fielded the ball and threw Glavine out. Reyes followed with a single for a 4-3 lead. It stayed that way till the 7th, when with one out, Wright his a triple to right. Alou followed with a run scoring single, and it was 5-3. That was all the Mets would need. Joe Smith came on in the 7th and was very impressive. The Show walked a hitter in the 8th, but needed only 9 pitches to retire the side. My thinking is that with the cold, Willie did not want to use Heilman, who had some elbow stiffness last weekend. Wags came on in the 9th, allowed a hit, but shut the door. I do wish he would not scare me so much, but he got the job done. Then it was time to head home. It was funn on the 7 train back to GCT, as fans were doing the "Jose Jose Jose" chant. Jimmy Rollins may have outscored Reyes last night, but the Mets came through.

Other Observations about the Game:

I was very impressed with the crowd when they applauded Lastings Milledge when he pinch hit for Glavine in the 6th. Very loud, considering how few were in attendance. Good for them, and I am happy for Lastings that he got a warm reception. Now, lets keep that up if and when he comes back from NOLA.

The lack of execution with RISP is a concern. I am not on the ledge yet, but Rick Down better start earning his paycheck. You can get away with that against lesser teams, but not better ones. It hurt us in the NLCS, and against Atlanta last weekend. This needs to be fixed NOW!

Can someone explain to me why asshat Yankee fans feel the need to come to Shea, and late in the game opening their jacket to show their jersey? I heard a Yankees suck chant start, and got pissed, thinking it was just fans chanting it because the Mets were winning, but then I saw the asshat a few sections over from me. Dude, that does not make you a big brave man. It makes you look stupid. In the future, people like that should be ignored.

I had my closest ever encounter with a foul ball, as one landed about one section away from me. I should have DVR'd the game, I might have seen myself.

So, my first game of the year is in the books. I plan on going to a few more. I think I'll wait for warmer weather though.

*************Other Stuff***********

Bad news for the Isles, as they lost 4-1. I obviously did not see the game (but I thank the guys at Metsgeek for posting score updates for me), but when you get only 1 shot in a period, odds are you are not going to win. Dubie got heckled a tad in the third per the newspaper, since he had the temerity (that's sarcasm folks) to allow 4 goals on 35 shots.

The good news is Rick was cleared to practice, and flew to the game last night with Wang and other execs. He could possibly play game 2, but Game 3 might be the better answer. Start him at home, with a welcoming crowd. But in Game 2, I would recommend lighting a fire under the ass of Yashin, Satan (who hit a post last night) and Kozlov. Those three need to score.

As for Don Imus, I frankly think he should have been gone a long time ago. He is an idiot, what he said was reprehensible. To those who feel this is a "free speech" issue, it is not. The gov't is not acting, a private employer is. An employer has the right to fire you for pretty much any reason, so long as it is not something prescribed by law (for race, religion, gender, etc). CBS Radio had no choice, advertisers were fleeing in droves. I think the forces of Sharpton and Jackson are hypocrites, as they have used inflammatory remarks in the past themselves, but that has no bearing on this issue, I wish people would realize this.

So, replaces him? Do His Pompousness and the Screaming Ninny move to the AM? Do they get split up with one moving and one staying? One paper wrote yesterday they could go after Michael Kay. I would stab myself in the ear with an icepick if the Yankee Homer was on the air of the home of the Mets. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

This weekend, Mets vs. Nationals. Alex at Metsgeek has your pitching matchups as usual. Isles have Game 2 Saturday night. Let's hope for a winning weekend, shall we?

Oh, and Mike, I rooted for the Rangers last week, and nearly had to break my fingers with a hammer for doing so. That will not happen again.

7 comments:

Coop said...

Dude, you and I are like two peas in a pod, Ed. I said the same thing on MSF today about Rick Down. You know, Soul Glo gets so much flak for the pitching staff and has done great with basically scrubs. It's all because of the 10 minutes comment. meanwhile, RD gets let off the hook because he has a bunch of naturally good hitters who learn discipline from the likes of Julio Franco and Rickey Henderson (!), and can easily chalk it up to "you can't win every game." Whatever.

Ed in Westchester said...

Coop - I'm with you on The Jacket. He gets way too much shit for the 10 minutes comment, because it was taken out of context. The guy was fired a few times in the Bronx. It's not only because George is nuts, it's because he stinks.
Guys slump for too long. Cliffy last year. David last and this (though the op field triple last night was good to see.)
I just don't like him. I joked on the geek (I love my blackberry) last night about whether I should kneecap him before I left.
I want him gone if things don't improve.

Toasty Joe said...

Ed,

The Imus firing may not be a FIRST AMENDMENT issue, as you have correctly stated, but it really relates to the need a lot of people have in this country to want to sweep people under the rug who make comments we disagree with, rather than just changing the channel and focusing on the real problems in society.

That said, Michael Kay on the FAN is scarier than any constitutional dilemma.

Mike said...

Ed - RISP hitting tends to even out over the long haul. It has real value, that I won't deny, but I refuse to believe there's any "skill" at work, or something a hitting coach can work on.

It's not like a guy can take RISP batting practice.

You rooted for the Rangers last night??? Why? Wouldn't you want all the good teams eliminated in case your Isles advance?

Ed in Westchester said...

I did not root for them last night. I did so last week since a Rangers win would help the Isles.
I wrote that note at the end today in response to your comment from yesterday.
I am done rooting for the Rangers.
Then again, Atlanta is a good team, unlike the Rangers. :)

Ed in Westchester said...

Toasty - I agree with you on the Imus stuff. I just wanted to speak to the Free Speech issue, since that is what I have been reading about so much in terms of his defenders (the 3 that exist).

I don't listen to him. I don't really listen to Stern either. I just don't like them, or Rush or any of the extreme guys. I turn the channel. More people need to do the same.

I do think he made a stupid comment about some young ladies who did not deserve it, and can totally understand why he was fired. I also could have understood if he was not fired.

I'm waiting for Miss Jones to play another tasteless tape and come under the same scrutiny. She got suspended for something she did after the tsumani that was racist, yet she was all over Imus. Struck me as bullshit. Glass houses and stones type stuff.

Toasty Joe said...

I had totally forgotten about that tsunami stuff. Man, that was brutal, too.