Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Awareness

I enjoyed the early part of the All Star Game last night. Brad Penny was dealing, throwing nothing but heat with three speeds, fast, faster and Holy Shit! Three up, three down, all K's, including Derek Jeter.
When Beltran came to bat, I was hoping for a line shot back up the box at Kenny Rogers (I hate Kenny Rogers). The hit was quite nice, as it went past the other NY third baseman. Alas, Carlos was left stranded.
After Penny tried to sneak a high hard one past Vlad, and failed (that was an impressive display of power by Vlad), it was the NL's turn again.
Later, David Wright (known in other places as "The Prince", "Derek Who" and "Sugar Pants") came to the plate, fresh off his impressive display last night. David decided to not mess around, and to show everyone that Monday was no fluke, driving the first pitch he saw from Rogers into the stands. That in my mind was better than a line shot up the box. I wish I could read lips, cause Kenny looked a might pissed. Given his past history, he probably was thinking, "I should have just walked him, heck, I've done that to the Mets before". Tie game. David comes through again.
The next time Beltran came to bat, a shot to center, with Soriano on 2nd. Had Sori remembered how to slide properly, we are talking about a 2-1 NL lead. However, he tried a lame sweep hand slide, and was out. Quite possibly, he would have been out anyway, but he did not make too much of an effort. Beltran proceeded to steal 3rd (with Pujols at the plate) and scored on a wild pitch. So far, Mets 2, AL 1. Awareness by Beltran of the situation helped.
It looked like the NL had it in the bag. Hoffman was pitching well, but a poor play by Miguel Cabrera (channeling Roger Dorn again) and a hitopened the door, and Michael Young stepped through with a 2-run triple. Mariano Rivera closed it out for the AL, which now has home field advantage in the WS.
So two of the Met reps put on a little show, and came to play, showing the league that they are serious in every game. Take note opponents, a 12 game lead is nice, but they ain't done yet.

I do have a concern however. The Mets will be on the cover of SI shortly. Wright, Reyes, LoDuca, Delgado and Beltran. Now, I know the SI Cover Curse is allegedly only for the preview issue, but did they really need to tempt the fates here? I do love the headline
"Welcome to Rip City" The Adventures of Captain Red Ass and the Intrepid Mets.
"Who is Captain Red Ass" could replace "Who is Keyzer Soze" as the hot question until this issue hits newsstands. Time to give Jobu some rum or kill some chickens to ward off the curse.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Ed. Nice recap.

I wanted Wright to line off Kenny "Just a bit Outside" Rogers's head too.

The last line from Major League is classic. too funny :)

Ed in Westchester said...

dd420 - I love using movie lines. My wife of course hates when I quote movies. YOur's of course is good as well.

Toasty Joe said...

"Up yer butt, JoBu!"

Ed in Westchester said...

Toasty - "F$^% You JOBU, I'll do it myself"