Sunday, March 23, 2008

It's Fantasy Draft Time!

For only the third time, Ed is taking part in a fantasy baseball league. It's a 12 team head to head money league, using the following categories:

Hitters - Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, AVG, SLG%
Pitchers - W, Saves, H, K's, ERA, WHIP

The first year I was in the league (2006), I was able to snag DW and Jose, along with a few other guys. Alas, I finished out of the money, in 9th. Last year, I was injury riddled, and finished in 11th. This year, I must redeem myself.

Below is my team, in order the players were drafted. I drafted in the 5th slot. Comments follow each name:

Reyes (Do I really need to justify this? DW went 1st overall.)
Beltran (The man will hit 40 hr's and drive in over 100. Book it)
Granderson (some steals, some SLG. And now he breaks his hand. Shit)
Helton (consistent avg, walks and rbi's. Possibly early, but needed a 1st baseman)
Verlander (my ace.)
Markakis (O's are gonna suck, but Nick can flat out rake. I wish he was in Queens)
McCann (I hated to do it, but he's a top catcher)
Orlando Hudson (early, but was worried about losing 2nd base)
Carmona (my #2, starters look pretty good so far)
Francoeur (Frenchy can hit. my utility guy)
Beltre (needed a 3rd baseman, best one left on the board)
Maine (I love this pick. He's gonna win at least 18)
Rafael Soriano (probable Braves closer. I needed a closer.)
Tim Hudson (It killed me, but I needed a good starter, and there weren't a lot of options left)
Heilman (my set up guy. I like this pick.)
Geovany Soto (back up catcher. Possible trade bait)
Oliver Perez (not a bad pick for round 17. I hope he matches last year. I had him then.)
Ryan Garko (Lister on Metsgeek loves Garko. I hope he is right about him)
Ty Wiggington (I always seem to have infield injuries. Ty covers everything but SS)
Joaquin Benoit (relief pitcher, possible Rangers closer)
Jamie Walker (relief pitcher, possible O's closer)


Well, that's it. I'm not so happy with all the Braves, but at least no Yankees. And I have more Mets than Braves. Once again, I cross my fingers.

At least I didn't pick El Duque or Pelfrey this year.

No comments: