Monday, October 01, 2007

It's Over

Mike said...
They didn't hear your prayers, Ed.There are no baseball gods. The baseball gods are dead.


Mike is right of course. I spent the better part of yesterday and last night trying to come up with something witty to say. As per usual, I found nothing.

What is funny about this? What is funny about a team blowing a 7 game lead? With going 5-12 over the end of the season, including 1-5 against the dregs of the NL East? Nothing. Nada. Zip.

A beat-down delivered on Saturday, where we came thisclose to getting our first no-no is followed up with a beating received. Poor starting pitching again. Listless bats, again. Hey, at least the pen did a good job yesterday right?

So the calls for head begin. Willie, Rick, Rickey, and the rest are on notice perhaps. Will the Wilpons' fire Willie? I don't see it happening, the backlash would be huge in some quarters. Did he preside over the collapse? Yeppers, but there is plenty of blame to go around, in the dugout and the front office.

The coming weeks will be telling. Omar needs to get to work now and figure out who stays and who goes. Blogdom will do the same, I'll have something this week. I can't do it right now because I am angry and typing while angry is not the best way to write clearly and wisely. It would be real easy for me to say "Go away Glavine, and take Mota and Sho and Green with you." That may very well still be what I write, but I want rational analysis behind it, not just "Well, Glavine sucked Sunday, and Mota all year". Well, the Mota part will be rational at least.

So we begin winter sports. At least I have the Jets.

Oh wait...

At least I have the Islanders...

Oh wait...

It's gonna be a long long winter.

April can't get here soon enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ed, yeah I'm with ya. Although I dsiagree with the Glavine part. Let him go, and i'll pack his bags and drop him off at the airport. He may have been visible on sunday, but his last three starts atrocious, checking out after his #300, he deserves to be let go. If he wins any of those last three games or at least puts in a little effort, this would be completely different today.

Omar has a lot on his plate and I think like you said, it would be easy to ax Willie but they won't and shouldn't. If Omar backs himself into a corner with these retreads again, you might just hear my screams from Jersey.

As for the offseason...My dad was ready to jump in front of the train yesterday after he found out the Jets lost too. LOL. Eddie, we may not like the same hockey team, but we both bleed Met blue and love the Jets. I got your back buddy.

Mike said...

Omar better get to work is right.

Of course, if he wants to stick to his guns, I'm 39 and possess a shaky grasp of baseball fundamentals. I'll work for only about $1.2 million or so.