Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I hate this time of Year

Why, because there is not much going on. The Hot Stove is barely starting to warm up (though, we did get good Mets news today, as Carlos Delgado is NOT going to exercise his right and demand a trade.) Football is in the middle of the season, and, well, let's just say the Jets aren't that good. Hockey is still early, and as for basketball, well, I don't particularly care for that sport.

Why do I not like basketball? I mean, you would think the Blue & Orange of the Kicks would make for a natural fit right? Is it the fact that the Knicks stink? No. Is it the slow pace of the games in recent years? Nope. Is it because I am not exactly tall and skilled enough to have played the sport? Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Now, I'm not going to pretend that I was a skilled baseball player (I was good with the glove, not so much with the bat, think slappy), and my football consisted mostly of flag football and tackle with friends in high school, as for hockey, well, I don't skate real well, but I played quite a bit of deck hockey, and was kinda good.

You see, my feeling is that you get interested in the sports you not only watched, but the ones you played. We did not watch much basketball, outside of some college hoops, but we watched an awful lot of football, baseball and hockey growing up. I've tried to get into basketball, really, but it holds no interest for me. Perhpas if I had gone to a college with a D-1 program my feeling woudl be different, but Albany was D-3 at the time I was there, and only moved to D-1 a couple of years ago. Besides, how can you root for a team called "The Great Danes"?

So where was I. Oh, yes, why I hate this time of year. Free Agency starts in earnest on Sunday, the first day teams are able to sign players. Of course, with the GM meetings next week, and the arbitration deadline shortly thereafter, the only guys who are going to sign right out of the gate are on the par with Lima Time!. Until then, all we get are stories about what agents are claiming their players are interested in playing for the Mets, the better to juice up their contracts. Or the latest speculation on D-Mat, or stories on Pedro saying he might take a dump today if the feeling moves him. Basically, crap. By the way, all those calling for Mark Mulder to sign with the Mets, he is out as long as Pedro, so he is not an answer for 2007. There was an interesting story in a Detroit paper that stated the Tigers may trade Bonderman for some offense. Not sure if the Mets can pull it off, but it would be nice. But it's stories like these that make for slow news. Though I must congratulate Carlos Beltran on his Gold Glove Award, and Carlos Delgado on his Roberto Clemente Award. Good for both of them.

As for football, the Jets have the Patriots this Sunday, in Foxboro. Yeah, this is gonna be good. The Pats get slammed on Sunday Night, and now they get the Jets. It is games like this that have Curtis Martin thanking his knees for not healing well. It is not going to be pretty. Much like the entire season. I just hope they can get a good running back with their top 10 pick this year.

The Giants get to play the Bears. Half of the Giants D-Line is hurt, but that should not matter, as Rex Grossman appears to be the second coming of Browning Nagle. Tiki is happy Urlacher is out. Oh, and can we stop with the adoration of Brandon Jacobs people? Let's see him get a little consistency before we annoint him as the next Tiki, OK? He did not look that impressive this past week. As for Eli, let's just say he ain't Peyton yet.

Now, my Islanders. The happiness that was spreading amongst the 15 or so fans appears to be cooling. After dismantling the Devils (the only team Ricky D seems to own), they laid two clunkers in a row. First, Atlanta, where Rick played awful in a 4-1 loss. He needs to stop roaming so much. Let his defense clear the puck. Last night, Mike Dunham played (as a lot of pundits, OK, only Stan Fischler were saying) and he stunk as well, in a 5-1 loss to the Lightning. Next up, Philly on Thursday, in Philly, followed by stops in Dallas, Tampa, Florida and Toronto. Not an easy stretch. Ted needs to get a second line scoring, or else teams are going to be able to key on Yashin. It is early, so I'm not going to get too upset, but then again, points won now count as much as those won later, so giving them up now hurts.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two questions emerge:

1. SUNY-Albany has sports teams?

2. Those teams are called "The Great Danes"? Is that because the state's big dogs are in Alabany?

{Sounds of groaning}

Ed in Westchester said...

Mike - never pick on SUNY A's (not-so) long history of sporting excelence :)

Yep, they have football and hoops. Hoops made the tourney last year (won the America East Conference for the 1st time), and lost to UCONN. Played them tight for 3 quarters.

And yes, the nickname is The Great Danes.
And yes, it is silly.

When I went, they were D-3, and we used to get more people to watch intramural deck hockey than basketball.

Ed in Westchester said...

I was very happy the other day. My oldest daughter (6 yrs old) came home from a play date with a boy. She told me that he collected baseball cards and had some Mets. She said "Daddy, I want to collect cards too. Could we buy some?" I said sure. She then told her mom, and added "And we will keep the Mets and Islanders, and throw out the Yankees and Rangers and the other teams we don't like".
I have to explain that there will be no Isles or Rangers cards, but, she wants to collect, and since I have no sons, I am happy.

Anonymous said...

Part of me feels like I shouldn't saddle my future children (boy or girl) with the emotional roller-coaster & irrationality of sports fandom.

My four teams have given me two championships, and a lot more grief than happiness. Not to mention hours of life I'll never get back.

Also . . . not to mention (with due respect to Shea-of-the-Fairer Sex & my marriage), I missed out on an "opportunity" or twelve back in high school and college by choosing sports-watching over other considerations.

And no, I'm not still bitter about the '84 playoffs, or Gastineau on 3rd-and-27 or anything like that.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg.

Ed in Westchester said...

My kids will have no choice. It's my teams, or sleep on the streets :)
I've got the nearly 2 year old saying "Go Jets" already too.

Anonymous said...

First off - Shea Denizen, it's good to see more females in these forums, keeping up with the boys ;-) My dad also took me to my first sporting event, being an only child, a girl and him wanting a son, I had no choice ;-) I've been a Mets fan since about 1983. So nice to meet you, we have a lot in common :shakes hand:

I'm a baseball fan, bleed Met blue obviously, but I was a Ranger fan till the strike...I guess I still root for them, but I am not emotionally invested in them anymore. I also root for the Jets, but it took me nearly 25 years to understand football...now if only my team was any good (just kidding Ed). I also hate basketball, but my friend works for the Knicks, he might take me simply because I've never been to a live b-ball game.

Anyhoo, back to the blog - Ed, I liked your round up today (I had a chuckle at the pedro taking a dump, so true, so true).

I'm sure you've seen me on other blogs *ahem Metropolitans and Y2K* talking about my gut feeling about Omar making a blockbuster trade that would leave us astounded. Something along the lines of the Gary Carter trade in winter 1984.

Enter Bonderman (has a nice ring to it). I would not be surprise in the least if something went down for him this offseason. He's not Verlander, but I liked his stuff, and it should translate well into National League.

I was in India last year when Cameron got dumped for Nady and then got back as soon as the Delgado trade was announced. I've been thinking about my trip recently, because it's been a year but that I held onto my stories of baseball to keep me sane while I was there. Good thing I'm home this year.

Anonymous said...

Oh PS - Ed, you are so funny with your kids "sleeping on the streets."

My own father wouldn't speak to me last year when I told him I was boycotting hockey and the Rangers. I finally got through to him when I said, "Dad, we're not talking the Mets over here." Now that is a different story.

I can't root for the Devils though, even though my boyfriend is a fan.

Anonymous said...

Ed, at one point, I dedicated much of my life and free time to the sport of basketball and was a huge fan of the Knicks and the Nets during the Dr. J years.

Now I can't stand to watch more than 5 minutes of either. It makes me sick to see what now passes for basketball. Race has never been an issue for me so this is not a racial comment: I can't stand to look at these guys and their tatoos, what the hell is up with that? How about spending more time working on the jump shot and less time in the tatoo parlor?

Basketball is dead, what little was left was taken by Michael Jordan and will not be returned anytime soon.

Lets go Mets