Thursday, September 21, 2006

Randomness

With the playoffs being a certainty, I am a lot calmer. I'm not quite sure what to do with myself, now that I do not have to dwell on each game and what the impact will be. As a result, posts here may be a little less frequent, and may cover more than just the Mets for the next couple of weeks, today's post being a case in point. Once the Playoffs start, back to normal.

Last night, the Mets, despite losing, clinched Home Field Advantage for the NLDS and NLCS. This is important, as any fan can tell you. Shea during the playoffs absolutely rocks. The fans act as not just the 26th man, but and extra 52,000 fans. You can have your St. Louis fans, or Boston fans, but the NY fan supports there team like no other. I don't care if you talk about baseball, football basketball or hockey, there is no place like a NY arena or stadium for a playoff game. Shea is loud, MSG is as well. Nassau Coliseum literally moves as the fans stomp their feet. The Meadowlands, with the wind and the fans is a vortex. Great environments for the home team all around.

Not much to say about last night, as I missed most of the game. I can say this, guys, I know it would be nice to have Dontrelle WIllis on the team next year, but making him happy by letting him hit 2 home runs and drive in 3 is not going to make a trade any easier. At least he wil not face the Mets in the first round. He absolutely owns this team, 11-2 all time, 5-0 at Shea.

Memo to Miguel Cabrera - STFU. Going into the opposing manager's press conference to talk smack about winning, and then sitting out the game? This guys got some testicular fortitude. If I was Miggy, I would think twice about digging in against Pedro today, assuming he shows enough sack to actually be in the lineup.

I see the other NY team clicnched the division last night and had a little celebration. I wonder if His Pompousass and the Hyena (I've changed his nickname. A hyena is a scavenger and laughs a lot, just like Russo) will have anythingt o say about it being too much. I saw the Big Eunich gave a champagne shower to the YES reporter. He must have loved that.

I'm a little torn about all the hooha over A-Rod in SI. Seems Giambi talked a little bit, as did A-Rod. On one hand, it makes me chuckle to hear teammates throw each other under the bus. A-Rod did it to Mussina, who was only the Yanks best pitcher for most of the season, and Giambi, who rebounded nicely from, what was it, oh, a pituitary gland issue or something totally unrelated to sticking needles into his ass. Giambi apparently told Torre to stop coddling A-Rod, and told A-Rod that he needed to start hitting, and proceeded to rip apart a few hit A-Rod talked about having in Boston. Now, I do not like the Yankees, so part of me is happy to see some turmoil.

The other part of me thinks this is so much BS. I have no doubt that guys on the Mets call each other out when they are slumping. That is what teammates do. The problem I have is that this is in a magazine. This type of stuff should have stayed in the clubhouse. By most accounts, the Yankees granted permission for Verducci to interview various players, but I have a hard time believing that Giambi, Torre or A-Rod gave up that Giambi stuff knowing it would be used in the story. The timing of the story is irksome as well, being so close to the end of the regular season. Just seems like piling on. Of course, the way the story is written shows the Yanks in turmoil, which could wind up being not the case. As I noted, guys call each other out in the clubhouse all the time. The stuff being reported is nothing new.

It was only a couple of months ago that I opened the Cafe. I don't pretend to be a journalist, I'm just a fan who is enjoying the season. I had no thought of starting this place until a couple of months ago. Last season, I started to frequent a couple of the blogs listed in the links, Faith & Fear, and Metsblog. During this past spring, I found Metsgeek and Metstradamus. It was while commenting there (and on a couple of other sites) that I started to get the idea to do something similar, to put my thoughts down. A couple of bloggers gave me some encouragement, and here I am. I hope that you are enjoying my slant on things. I know I'm enjoying writing them.

2 comments:

Ed in Westchester said...

sd - I read this somewhere, can't remember where now - let Pedro put Miggy down on his ass, payback for mocking Willie, and Pedro gets his mojo back.
I think Pedro is lulling people now. He is a master of obfuscation. He may have been worried the other night, and not totally right, but come the playoffs, he is going to let it all hang out.

Darth Marc said...

I have updated my blog....tell me what you think...