Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Making a List

Well, after a few weeks of gnashing of teeth and reading all the puke coming out of the PC’s of twits like this guy, it is time for Ed to make “The List”. “The List” of who stays and who goes.

Let’s begin with the Brain trust shall we?

Omar will be back, we all knew this was going to happen. Despite my issues with some of his moves (it’s the bullpen stupid); I do not have a huge problem with his being given an extension. I do have a problem with the length of it, as it is one year too many IMNSHO. My concern is knowing how the Wilpon's operate, if they wind up firing him, and having to eat his salary, they will use that as justification towards not spending on players. Omar’s job right now is to do two things. First, blow up the pen and replace what is left. Second, get Luis Castillo the hell out of here.

Jerry Manuel will be back as well. Now, I liked the job he did. He brought a team that was basically left for dead in the middle of June by most to 1 game out of the Wild Card. The problem is that he seemed to go a little Willie on us when it came to the bullpen. Remember in 2007 how Philip Humber sat and rotted on the bench after being a September call-up while the likes of Mota and others kept blowing games? Remember how we thought Jerry would be different? We thought wrong, as Bobby Parnell became this years Humber. Once again, the manager let a call up rot while the bullpen shat the bed. Now, I don’t totally blame Jerry for not making the playoffs. The team lost its #3 starter in Maine for a month plus, and lost it’s closer in Wagner for nearly 2 months. The fact they finished where they did shows me the team gave it’s all. Now, his comments about stats and grit give pause, but I think we all know managers use stats; they just don’t use them as the sole reason for making a decision. A good manager blends stats and gut. Jerry seems to do this well for the most part.

As for the rest of the coaches, I could NOT care less if any of them are back.

Tony B – I hope you get the job in Seattle.

Fielders

David Wright, Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran have to come back. A trade of any one of these players would be the stupidest move in Mets history. I don’t give a rat’s ass if David had a poor final weekend. The dude had a great month overall. Jose did better than September 2007, and had many games during the season where he was the team’s best player. Beltran is Beltran. The dude just plays, day in, day out, hurt or not. The next person who calls him a pussy is going to get a beating. He’s the best CF in baseball.

Daniel Murphy needs to be back. I don’t expect him to hit like he did last year. I do expect him to be a good ballplayer. Let him play left field if they decide 2nd is not going to work out. He has great plate discipline (though he needs to work on sliders in). Plus, he’s gritty, which everyone tells us this team lacks.
Brian Schneider can come back so long as he promises to be the defensive catcher we were told he was.

Fernando Tatis can come back as a 4th outfielder and bat off the bench. So long as he signs cheap in terms of $ and years.

Ryan Church should be back. I don’t think he will be as good as he was the first half, or as bad as he was towards the end of the season. Hopefully, an off-season of rest will help heal his hip. Now, if someone offers a nice return, I can live with his being dealt, but then Omar would need to find a RF. That will not be easy.

Endy – sorry, this team cannot have your bat on the bench, unless it is as the 5th OF.

Marlon Anderson – make him a coach. Just do not let him have a spot on the roster. Dude is done.

Luis Castillo – GONE. For the love of all that is good and holy, please get rid of him.

Damion Easley – gone. Not good off the bench. Not good as a starter. He could be a good 25th man, but nothing more.

Ramon Castro – gone. Dude cannot stay healthy.

Argenis Reyes – gone. Dude cannot hit.

Nick Evans – AA or AAA. First guy called up in case of injury to an OF.

Carlos Delgado – This is a toughie. I would like him back. I do not think he can hit like he did the 2nd half, but if he puts up similar #’s, that will be sufficient. The problem is that he is probably the most marketable trade chip. Even with only 1 year left, an AL team may take the chance, allowing him to play 1st and DH. The question is what is the return? With nobody in the system ready to take over and replace his production, I think he will be back. Unless they sign Teixeira, which is a longshot.

Pitchers

Johan is going nowhere. Neither is Pelfrey. Same for Maine (and I mean this in terms of staying with the team AND in the rotation. You do not rob Peter to pay Paul. Moving him to closer means you need another starter.

I’d like Ollie to come back. I like his stuff. I think he is a guy who can be a very good #3 starter. The problem will be what he costs, so I am prepared to see him go.

As for the bullpen, I am torn here. Let’s list them out.

Heilman – his value among Mets fans is at an all time low. His value among other teams is the same. For some reason, he got away from his change-up, which hurt him against lefties. I predict he will be back, and if he has a good spring, will make the team. I see him with the Mets until the Trade Deadline at least.

Parnell – keep him in the pen.

Smith – keeper. Had a nice year overall.

Stokes – keep him. Live arm. Potential 8th inning guy.

Pedro Dos – buh-bye.

Sh!tScho – As unpopular as this will make me, I want him back. He has 1 year left on the deal. He is a LOOGY. But I want a collar around Jerry that will zap him if he so much as THINKS Scho should face a righty.

Al Reyes – keeper. 8th inning guy. I like his desire to challenge guys. I just don’t like him as closer.

Figeroa – gone

Brandon Knight – gone

Pedro – Thank you, but no.

NotSoClean Sanchez – Gone. I’m sorry, but I don’t buy that a full season under his belt will help. The dude was awful at the end of the year. You would think that if there was going to be improvement with work, we would have seen it in September.


So endeth The List. At some point, I will give my take on potential targets, either through trade or Free Agency. There are some holes to fill. Let’s hope Omar fills them wisely.

No comments: